2022 TAG Heuer Connected (E4) - Discussions Thread

^ How do you like it so far? How's sturdy does the crown feel?

To be honest it's very similar to E3.
Really impressed with the strap. It's softer than E3.
Battery seems good so far.
15 hours from first charge and it had 50% still.
As for the crown it doesn't bother me as I don't use it. I wear in the right wrist and it's hard to get to the crown. I just swipe screen most times.
It would be nice if the wrist orientation could be swapped in the software. Like Apple watch.
All in all I'm happy with it. Now just waiting for April and the Titanium Golf Edition.

To be honest it's very similar to E3.
Really impressed with the strap. It's softer than E3.
Battery seems good so far.
15 hours from first charge and it had 50% still.
As for the crown it doesn't bother me as I don't use it. I wear in the right wrist and it's hard to get to the crown. I just swipe screen most times.
It would be nice if the wrist orientation could be swapped in the software. Like Apple watch.
All in all I'm happy with it. Now just waiting for April and the Titanium Golf Edition.

Hi! There's an app for swap the orientation. Try "Lefty" app. I don't know if works in Connected models.
Edited:

Does anyone know from where the default TH weather complication takes it data from? When choosing the Google one, which is less visible and not as nice as the Tag one, i am getting a difference of 2 degC.... Also, when clicking the complication it does not bring to any app which makes me think that the only weather app installed is the Google one. At least the Tag complication should take its data from Google…but that does not seem to be the case...

Does anyone know from where the default TH weather complication takes it data from? When choosing the Google one, which is less visible and not as nice as the Tag one, i am getting a difference of 2 degC.... Also, when clicking the complication it does not bring to any app which makes me think that the only weather app installed is the Google one. At least the Tag complication should take its data from Google…but that does not seem to be the case...

I've read somewhere in the internal license files of the smartphone app "Accuweather". Maybe TH is using the accuweather API for that.

Install the accuweather apk for Wear Os and compare data

I've read somewhere in the internal license files of the smartphone app "Accuweather". Maybe TH is using the accuweather API for that.

Install the accuweather apk for Wear Os and compare data

Thanks !

First night charging the watch on its stand. Nice night clock.
However, i did not notice any kind of pixel shift where the clock position would change every x minutes as you can see on some other watches (Samsung...). I really hope it is not something the TH devs did forget to implement as I am a bit worried with OLED screen burn in over time....
All OLED watches, smartwatch and obviously TV manufacturers implement this auto moving fixed images to avoid having the same pixels lit up for several hours non-stop....

Or maybe they received confirmation from their screen supplier that the brightness level implemented with the night stand mode is low enough to prevent burn in...

Hope some Tag guys read this forum to eventually rectify through a software update ;-)

Yesterday, the guy of the AD told me "This smartwatches have a 3-4 or maybe 5 years of life and no more. This is not a watch like a Carrera or Formula. It's an accessory. TH wants to get in on the trend of wearables , but it's a watchmaker. They don't manufacture technology.
As an actual smartphone is designed to be changed by newer models in 4-5 years."

I suppose that in 5 years the oled panel will not look too burnt...

I want to buy the newer model anyway. Has an aesthetic that other don't have IMHO. But if I buy it, I buy it knowing that it can work fine for 10 years... or maybe 5.

Yesterday, the guy of the AD told me "This smartwatches have a 3-4 or maybe 5 years of life and no more. This is not a watch like a Carrera or Formula. It's an accessory. TH wants to get in on the trend of wearables , but it's a watchmaker. They don't manufacture technology.
As an actual smartphone is designed to be changed by newer models in 4-5 years."

I want to buy the newer model anyway. Has an aesthetic that other don't have IMHO. But if I buy it, I buy it knowing that it can work fine for 10 years... or maybe 5.

Fully agree..... issue is that burn in can also occur after a year only....

That would be the doubt. If the warranty covers that problem or not (Now 3 years in my country).

One thing about the E4 is that it charges super quick. I put it on charge with 50% battery and within 35 Min it's full.
Not sure if it's the wall charger I'm using or if it's just a fast watch to charge.

Looks like Tag recently made changes to their product web pages and now have a nice 3D rendering of the different watch models that you can rotate - the screen is even showing the correct time and date info ;-)
First night charging the watch on its stand. Nice night clock.
However, i did not notice any kind of pixel shift where the clock position would change every x minutes as you can see on some other watches (Samsung...). I really hope it is not something the TH devs did forget to implement as I am a bit worried with OLED screen burn in over time....
All OLED watches, smartwatch and obviously TV manufacturers implement this auto moving fixed images to avoid having the same pixels lit up for several hours non-stop....

Or maybe they received confirmation from their screen supplier that the brightness level implemented with the night stand mode is low enough to prevent burn in...

Hope some Tag guys read this forum to eventually rectify through a software update ;-)

Some newer devices have displays where the pixels move half a millimetre, which the eye effectively cannot perceive. That'd prevent screen burn.

Just as an IT guy in the thread for the E3 pointed out a while ago, a processor can run software almost indefinitely (as a Turing machine) -- particularly given that updates eventually become more sparse, and even with those, the code gets cleaner and it tends to run smoother. Besides the battery, which since the E3 is replaceable, the obsolescence will be almost the same as a mechanical watch -- if smartwatches do not begin to be collector's articles in the future. Many assume that mechanical watches will have a cache and durability that electronic items lack. A brief glimpse at the history and philosophy of technology challenges that. An atomic watch will hardly be superseded by a mechanical watch. Wearables will be placed inside our bodies and their materials and electronics will last decades -- and certain brands will have the piece of their pie, and in some way, we will know there's a Rolex under our skin. In short, those who think with 'certainty' about the future of watches, mechanical or not, will very likely be considered Luddites 100 years from now -- just as we now see those who revolted against the machines in 18 century England.

Anyone knows of anyone who got the E4 42mm (the only one I'd be interested in having, as a follow-up of my two E2 41mms, which I'll still keep)? There're only two hands-on video reviews of this model, both by Germans (one in English), so far...

A few quick notes regarding the E4 42.

I really like the design... A great evolution compared to my previous E2 41. The steel bracelet and how it integrates very well with the lugs and watch is really nice.

It seems that the Carbon and the Heuer 01C are not currently available (is it on the 45mm?). The new Riverside watchface is nice, and I really like the addition of the complication on the Orbital watchface.

I like the idea of the new charger that also becomes a night stand, but the brightness of the watch is quite high during the night, and the little Tag logo on the base of the charger is way too bright in a dark room - only option is a little black tape over it.

If you wondered, it is possible to reassign the buttons on the side to any app on the watch.

It's too early for me to comment on the battery life... Will need a few normal days of use (day 1 is not representative of a normal usage pattern).

16471875762767737608614957524484.jpg

I think best way to avoid the burn-in issue in the AMOLED screens of our TH Connected (Gen2, Gen3, Gen4) is changing the watch face quite often.
Wearing the same watch face (factory installed or by WatchMaker) during many consecutive days could burn the screen quite soon… much sooner than 5 years!

I try to change the watch face (by WatchMaker) every day I use the watch (so, one different watch face per consecutive day), and the screen of my Gen2 M45 looks perfect after amost 4 years of intensive use :thumbsup:

Also a forum member having this burn-in issue in his Gen2 M45 was told by the TH customer service that charging the watch overnight also could cause the burn-in issue (maybe because of the magnet in the charger?). So they recommend removing the watch from the charger when the battery is at 100%, without leaving it much longer in the charger

A few quick notes regarding the E4 42.

I really like the design... A great evolution compared to my previous E2 41. The steel bracelet and how it integrates very well with the lugs and watch is really nice.

It seems that the Carbon and the Heuer 01C are not currently available (is it on the 45mm?). The new Riverside watchface is nice, and I really like the addition of the complication on the Orbital watchface.

I like the idea of the new charger that also becomes a night stand, but the brightness of the watch is quite high during the night, and the little Tag logo on the base of the charger is way too bright in a dark room - only option is a little black tape over it.

If you wondered, it is possible to reassign the buttons on the side to any app on the watch.

It's too early for me to comment on the battery life... Will need a few normal days of use (day 1 is not representative of a normal usage pattern).

16471875762767737608614957524484.jpg

Finally! Thank you for this! Arguably the more 'interesting' model (more inclusive, more elegant, etc.), which is slowly gathering a fair bit of attention (Bloomberg, etc) does not have many hands-on reviews -- mostly focused on the 45mm, as the 'natural successor' of the E3, bla bla. This is a different watch (although I'd consider the 45mm for the gym).

If you could post various pictures from different angles, including the night glow while charging, and share later your battery experience, that'd be awesome. Thanks in advance.

PS:
That's a crazy good-looking watch in that pic BTW...