2022 TAG Heuer Connected (E4) - Discussions Thread

I think best way to avoid the burn-in issue in the AMOLED screens of our TH Connected (Gen2, Gen3, Gen4) is changing the watch face quite often.
Wearing the same watch face (factory installed or by WatchMaker) during many consecutive days could burn the screen quite soon… much sooner than 5 years!

I try to change the watch face (by WatchMaker) every day I use the watch (so, one different watch face per consecutive day), and the screen of my Gen2 M45 looks perfect after amost 4 years of intensive use :thumbsup:

Also a forum member having this burn-in issue in his Gen2 M45 was told by the TH customer service that charging the watch overnight also could cause the burn-in issue (maybe because of the magnet in the charger?). So they recommend removing the watch from the charger when the battery is at 100%, without leaving it much longer in the charger

I don't think charging overnight on the E4 is any longer a problem. Tag Heuer actually advertised that the new charger acts as a bedside clock
If this created any burn in then I'm sure we have grounds for a warranty replacement based on the advice from Tag.
I will continue to check for burn in daily.
I have noticed the face goes into a dimmer mode when on the charger though.

I don't think charging overnight on the E4 is any longer a problem. Tag Heuer actually advertised that the new charger acts as a bedside clock
If this created any burn in then I'm sure we have grounds for a warranty replacement based on the advice from Tag.
Yes, it makes sense… but there is also no advice in the watch's instruction manual about changing watch faces frequently, and warning that using the same watch face many consecutive days can cause screen burn-in…

BTW, is there a magnet in the Gen4 charger like in the Gen2 charger?

Here is a closer look at the 42, even if the video title says 45...

Wow! Thanks for this! I was wondering how I missed it until I realized it was posted today :D

The guy is spot on (although it sounds a bit like a promo video): I'm also over 45mm watches -- not that I ever used them: I tried, several times, and couldn't get over how unnatural they look on my wrist. He acknowledges that this model could make waves (one wonders whether he is referring to competing with the Montblanc Summit 2, which I own in 3 models, and which has been selling well from what I read).

Yes, it makes sense… but there is also no advice in the watch's instruction manual about changing watch faces frequently, and warning that using the same watch face many consecutive days can cause screen burn-in…

BTW, is there a magnet in the Gen4 charger like in the Gen2 charger?

Yes there is a magnet. A very strong one.

Yes there is a magnet. A very strong one.
I always thought that the advice from TAG Heuer customer service about not leaving the watch (Gen2 in that case) for so many hours in the charger because it could cause burn-in on the screen could be motivated by the magnet, but if Gen4 also has a magnet in the charger and they include a bedside clock mode, it doesn't make much sense ::confused2::... just in case, I'll continue without leaving it charging overnight! :D

Looks like the Tag designed complications are assuming that because I selected English US as a language, I want Farenheit as a temperature this was a problem a long time ago on WearOS, but has been fixed.

Also, looks like Tag complications don't know about UTC as a timezones, which WearOS does.

As a follow-up to my previous comment, I have not been able to figure out a way to have the screen turn off while charging, except by turning off the Always On feature. The brightness setting at night is also not controllable from what I can see and very strong in a dark room.

Battery life so far seems improved vs my previous 41mm, but it will take a few more days of playing around to confirm.

All in all, I am very happy with the E4 42mm... A significant improvement over the E2 41mm. Can't wait for WearOS 3 and for the Tag software updates that will fix (hopefully) a few initial issues and missing watch faces.

Here are a few more pictures of the 42mm.

16472711453944105835238957685732.jpg 16472712297373849683363287513122.jpg 16472712841181446525276240430557.jpg

I was thinking about protect the possible oled display burning and the 'too much' brightness at night.

-Enable developer mode in Settings.
(Settings > System > Information/About and a few clicks on "Compilation Number" to enable Developer options.)

-Back to Settings.

-Developer options / Developer menu.

Then, there are two interesting options:
-"Stay awake when charging" (Disable screen while charging).

And in wear debugging options (I don't remember the exact name)
-"Force Display Burn-in Protection" for force the minimum movement and color variations for oled/amoled displays.

-Then restart the smartwatch.
;)

I actually already have the "stay awake when charging" disabled (didn't activate the burn-in protection), but that didn't seem to make any difference as the Always-on screen setting seems to be of higher priority. Until I find a better way, I guess I will simple disable the Always-on through the settings or the app at night. I did send Tag support a request about this, at least to review for the future updates.

I actually already have the "stay awake when charging" disabled (didn't activate the burn-in protection), but that didn't seem to make any difference as the Always-on screen setting seems to be of higher priority. Until I find a better way, I guess I will simple disable the Always-on through the settings or the app at night. I did send Tag support a request about this, at least to review for the future updates.

Once I put the watch on charge I find that after a minute or two the screen dims while charging.

Just got the E4 42 today. Set it up and it updated the OS to 2.26
It seems to drain the battery pretty fast. 1-2% every few minutes.
I do have the always on, on.
Also do you need to run the Google Wear and Tag apps in the background, seems to work fine if they aren't running.
I'm running IOS
So far coming from an Apple Watch and a Garmin I like this watch

A hands-on review of solely the 42 here. It seems it beat the T+T one for 4 days, being this one the first one anywhere (of the 42 alone). It sounds less promo-y, but it's very short.

A hands-on review of solely the 42 here. It seems it beat the T+T one for 4 days, being this one the first one anywhere (of the 42 alone). It sounds less promo-y, but it's very short.

Doug always posts some good content.
Has a 45mm Titanium review in the works.
42mm was a loan from Tag and only had it 3 days.
The Titanium will be longer and more detailed.

Just got the E4 42 today. Set it up and it updated the OS to 2.26
It seems to drain the battery pretty fast. 1-2% every few minutes.
I do have the always on, on.
Also do you need to run the Google Wear and Tag apps in the background, seems to work fine if they aren't running.
I'm running IOS
So far coming from an Apple Watch and a Garmin I like this watch

Woke up yesterday at 6:40. Went to bed at 23:00, the battery was showing 31%. Did 2 walks of 15min each with GPS and Wellness activity on during the day. Heart rate continuous monitoring. AOD on. Gesture mode ON. played a bit with the watch changing watchfaces like 10 times (TH watchfaces, watchmaker not installed)... received around 10 notifications. Very satisfied with the battery so far and I am sure it will improve over time..

One thing I wish Tag could add in a next software update is the alarm clock display on the night mode.... always nice to have confirmation that the alarm clock was set properly once you put the watch on the charger... Wish they had an official forum where you could interact with their team...

Woke up yesterday at 6:40. Went to bed at 23:00, the battery was showing 31%. Did 2 walks of 15min each with GPS and Wellness activity on during the day. Heart rate continuous monitoring. AOD on. Gesture mode ON. played a bit with the watch changing watchfaces like 10 times (TH watchfaces, watchmaker not installed)... received around 10 notifications. Very satisfied with the battery so far and I am sure it will improve over time..
Are you on 2.26?
Today is my first full day so will see how it does

From my side, on the 42, I seem to be getting through a day with always on screen and fit/tag fitness sensors tracking with 20-30% left at the end of the day. So big improvements over my previous 41. Latest WearOS version is 2.34 on my watch.

So far today I took the watch off charging at 8am and did 40 min of cardio with it, its about 1pm and its already at 66%, its dropping fast, got home and it was at 80% so something is draining it