Welcome to the Calibre 11 TAG Heuer Forums

Ah, I've heard of this, doesn't it use fluctuations in temperature for power - somehow...?
I was going to ask how it ran.

Ah, I've heard of this, doesn't it use fluctuations in temperature for power - somehow...?
Yes, correct. From Wikipedia:
It gets the energy it needs to run from temperature and atmospheric pressure changes in the environment, and can run for years without human intervention.

The clock is driven by a mainspring, which is wound by the expansion and contraction of liquid and gaseous ethyl chloride in an internal hermetically sealed bellows. The ethyl chloride vaporises into an expansion chamber as the temperature rises, compressing a spiral spring; with a fall in temperature the gas condenses and the spring slackens. This motion constantly winds the mainspring. A temperature variation of only one degree in the range between 15 °C (59 °F) and 30 °C (86 °F), or a pressure variation of 3 mmHg, is sufficient for two days' operation.

I like that I have a sentimental value to the clock. I'm sitting here typing this now with nothing but the tik-toc of the clock, very soothing. I had it refurbished back in New Hampshire maybe 20-23 years ago. The fella did a fantastic job. He had the face sent out to have hand painted back on instead of a paper dial. It had quite a few chips missing from age. The clock repair guy was amazed of the condition of the gold leaf. It's still all there. The case was super dark with age and since it's a family heirloom and I wasn't worried about value being an antique I stripped of the finish and refinished the cabinet myself. It wasn't worth really anything w/o being restored but it's worth a million bucks to me.
It will be nice knowing it will go to my brother's daughter from her great grand parents.

Wow I had never heard of such a thing. I'll have to investigate that!!

One question... in the UK, until recently we haven't seen 15deg for about three months, I assume if it was here we'd have to wind it?

One question... in the UK, until recently we haven't seen 15deg for about three months, I assume if it was here we'd have to wind it?
Well I'm the UK and believe it or not, we keep the clock inside and have heating :)

Well I'm the UK and believe it or not, we keep the clock inside and have heating :)

You know what, I've been out all morning thinking 'what a dumb question'... obviously the clock will be in the house!

This is my mantel clock - Le Coultre Atmos. It doesn't tick at all! But it's extremely accurate and never needs winding. s-l1600.jpg

Congrats, the REAL one!!!

Hi , I'm still relatively new here, and since I came here, what a journey. I started looking for a watch because I hadden't ( correct ? ) worn one in 17 years. That was sept '17 . So first I bought a chinese automatic watch ,..what a joke ! But since I am a bit of a scrooge , and spending more than 100€ on a watch is like going skydiving with having vertigo , it appealed to me. So, after that I decided to look for value/quality , but those watches never 'spoke' to me. I then decided to push my 'vertigo' aside , and just started looking at watch models , without price, and came to Tag Heuer, more specific the 2000 and 6000 range spoke to me. I found a WI1150 very fast, actually two of them on seperate occasions, and the one Iposted here went for ~400 . But allthough the seller said they were rare, and someone here acknowledged that, because I found two of them in quick succesion , I thought I knew better. LOL . I didn't . It did however make me research Tag models more I read everything from the heuer days untill now , have seen every model. and realized that for me, I need to have solid gold on the watch, because just a layer will not last long . I also found out that my wrist is not the smallest at 20cm , and that TH bands can be quite expensive ! But today , after a long search , I bought this :
s-l1600.jpg

When it arrives , I'll finally be able to post a picture on 'what's on your wrist ' . The same sellr also had an awesome looking
165.806 for sale , if it weren't for my 'vertigo ' ( sounds better ) I would have bought both !

Now, does anybody know where one can find leather straps for this model , priced for someone with 'vertigo '? :P

Just one more because it helps me stop shaking ( just bought it )
s-l1600.jpg

Oh, and thanks to everyone here, also replying really fast in the "is this watch real' - section ! It's a big help ! And the guides here are awesome ! So thanks for making that too !

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and just registered. I like nice watches but not as much as others and certainly not as knowledgeable either especially mechanical watches. I like German cars though :).

I've been a long time Tag Heuer fan always like their design. Ever since my former brother in-law, his brother and their dad had the S/el in the 90s I was always fascinated by the bracelet which is the Link. I was in my earl teens that time.

When I finished college and got a job I bought my first Tag which is the Formula 1 Quartz great introductory watch to the the Tag world. It was great and I used it everyday for more than 10 yrs up until the crown broke and I realized that it wasn't worth to fix it. So I haven't used a watch for about 2yrs. With smartphones I slowly felt ok with not wearing a watch. I understand not really comparable, just trying to tell myself that.

But in the past months I started to want it again especially when going to formal events with a suit (the Formula 1 isn't a dressy watch). Been checking ebay/kijiji and AD for the Link. I found an amazing deal for a Link Calibre 6 (WJF111) never thought I'd get an Automatic watch but was always thinking about it. One of the challenges for me is that I'm not a tall guy so 42mm watch is a bit too big on my wrist so 38-40 is perfect.

Needless to say I am very happy with my "new" Link watch. Its been about 2 decades for me to get the Link! :) Now in my mid 30s I have more appreciation with "nice" watches.
Now I'm looking to purchase another Tag for everyday use, preferably used but still the Link series and quartz. I was thinking for the S/el but most people selling it are asking a lot, am I missing something? So I'm leaning towards the WJ111. I was also thinking of the Aquaracer too, but there something about the Link bracelet that I really like, I guess its uniqueness.

Anyways hoping to learn more and a lot about Tag, watches and movement here.

Sorry for taking a long time to post pics :)
IMG_20180828_0959379.jpg IMG_20180828_1000221.jpg IMG_20180828_1001448.jpg IMG_20180828_1003174.jpg

Hi forum members, i am Subbu from India. i love watches. I have been looking to buy a Tag Heuer Monaco calibre 11 reference-CAW211P.FC6356.
I wanted to know any good dealers in & around newyork, boston. please guide me. What is the best price i can get it for? I think it retails for USD $5900. what percentage of discount will i be able to get? will it be possible to get it for $4500? Any tips to talk deals, will any of the dealers be rude?
Also please forgive if i started in the wrong thread. Please direct me to the thread where i can carry forward this discussion.
Edited:

Congratulations on the new forum David, I hope it will be as successful as your website,
all the best for the future, Lloyd
So looks like Tag Heuer never did respond to anyone on here?

Hello,

I'm Tengil. Currently the proud owner of a Carrera Calibre 5. Glad to have found the forum and I hope to learn a lot from you all. Hopefully, over time, I'll be able to contribute. I enjoy lurking in the vintage Heuer section.

Kind regards

Tengil