Welcome to the Calibre 11 TAG Heuer Forums

I 'think' Ive found the correct place to say this.

Let me make this clear, I don't like square or oblong watches.

But by golly having become a newbie to serious watch collecting these Tags have seriously knocked my socks off.

BEAUTIFUL watches, absolutely stunning.

I said on another forum I'm a member of that my future purchases 'were' going to be a Speedy and/or Rolex Explorer Cream Dial (when finances allow), but now I have come across these Tags (particularly Monaco Gulf) one of these purchases will have to wait. Now BOTH may have to wait I'm afraid.

Great stuff on here, and to a relative newbie and very much amateur collector a great resource for research and indeed sourcing what could now be classed as my 'Grail' watch.

Many thanks in advance for the advice I will hopefully receive from the good folk on here.
Edited:

Welcome Eleuthera. I saw your post over at Watchuseek on the Monaco Club topic also. I like the Monaco but have always struggled with small wrists and the fact that a square watch tends to look quite big and flashy. However, given an original 1970s McQueen is probably out of my price range, I'm having more and more thoughts about the new model... must restrain myself.

Hi @Eleuthera and welcome.

I remember when I bought my first re-edition Heuer in 2000. I looked at the Monaco and thought that there is no way that I could get away with wearing a watch like that, so instead I went for the Monza.

But over time, I got more used to the Monaco and now really like the shape and have no problems wearing one.

But it is worth trying them out. I really like the JLC Reverso when I see it in photos, but hate the way that it looks on my wrist.

dc

Welcome Eleuthera. I saw your post over at Watchuseek on the Monaco Club topic also. I like the Monaco but have always struggled with small wrists and the fact that a square watch tends to look quite big and flashy. However, given an original 1970s McQueen is probably out of my price range, I'm having more and more thoughts about the new model... must restrain myself.

Ah the old 'restrain myself' imagwai, great in theory :). I have medium wrists, nearly 7 inches and I might just get away with it. It might look a bit big and flashy on me but won't know until I try one, fingers crossed it looks okay.

Hi @Eleuthera and welcome.

I remember when I bought my first re-edition Heuer in 2000. I looked at the Monaco and thought that there is no way that I could get away with wearing a watch like that, so instead I went for the Monza.

But over time, I got more used to the Monaco and now really like the shape and have no problems wearing one.

But it is worth trying them out. I really like the JLC Reverso when I see it in photos, but hate the way that it looks on my wrist.

dc

Hi D.C

Thanks for the reply and thoughts. Hopefully the Monaco will fit. I like the Reverso as well, but still can't get past the Monaco Gulf series, like imagwai said 'must use restraint, or at least TRY. :).

When I say I must restrain myself, I guess it means I can't quite justify another watch and bring myself to part with the cash right now... but if a bargain came along... well, you never know, I might talk myself into it. Oh, and I've bought a ticket for the Euromillions lottery this Friday. That £95million jackpot might just tip me over the edge into buying an original McQueen :)

Ahh the Euromillions jackpot imagwai, got to be in it to win, or so they say.

Just wondering what I'd do with all that money, but sentiments along the same lines as you I reckon.

Very excited to be here. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this community.

Welcome Baktash- looking forward to having you around!

dc

Thanks @calibre 007 and welcome!
After a lot of work, I'm pleased to welcome you to the new Calibre 11 Forums- the place to discuss vintage Heuer and TAG Heuer. But why a new forum you might ask? The TAG Heuer community is already well served by existing forums such as Watchuseek and Onthedash. Another forum? Let me explain the reasons.

1. What you see today is very much the first version of the Forum, which is why it has a nice red "Beta" label in the corner. Over the next few months, Calibre 11 will migrate to a new, purpose-built forum software that has been specifically designed for watch forums. Yes, really. Just for watches. I've seen early stages of this new platform, and I promise it will change the way that you think about, and use, forums. Fast, light, multi-platform and designed for the way that forums are used in 2015.

2. As Calibre 11 has grown larger over time (yes, in our 5th year we're still growing strongly), I no longer have the capacity to personally answer the growing number of e-mail questions that I get each day. Rather than leave you with an unanswered mail, why not ask your question here? There is a wealth of knowledge about these watches that rests with our readers, so let's share the knowledge and opinions.

3. Many of you are already using Calibre 11 as a "forum", by asking questions in the comments articles on the posts. Sometimes these don't get answered because they get lost...there are some things that are simply easier with a forum structure. It will also allow a more natural flow to discuss Calibre 11 articles here, rather than reading them in one place and then commenting in another

I'm also pleased to say that TAG Heuer have been wonderfully supportive of the new forum and will have their own account so that they can answer some of your questions from time to time- let's set expectations at the right level- they won't be here every day, nor will they answer every question. But they are a part of the forum, which I'm delighted with.

The forum will, of course, grow naturally over time. How it grows will depend on you and what you want to see in a forum. I've been involved in many fora over time, and you can't "create one" overnight- all you can do is build the house, open the door and allow things to take their course.

Finally, a huge thanks to a couple of guys "up north" who have worked night and day to get the forum up and running. You know who you are- thanks guys.

dc

I'm so happy I found this forum. It's easy to use and looks great on my phone as well.

Cheers!
DJ

I'm so happy I found this forum. It's easy to use and looks great on my phone as well.

Cheers!
DJ
Thanks DJ- welcome!

After a lot of work, I'm pleased to welcome you to the new Calibre 11 Forums- the place to discuss vintage Heuer and TAG Heuer. But why a new forum you might ask? The TAG Heuer community is already well served by existing forums such as Watchuseek and Onthedash. Another forum? Let me explain the reasons.

1. What you see today is very much the first version of the Forum, which is why it has a nice red "Beta" label in the corner. Over the next few months, Calibre 11 will migrate to a new, purpose-built forum software that has been specifically designed for watch forums. Yes, really. Just for watches. I've seen early stages of this new platform, and I promise it will change the way that you think about, and use, forums. Fast, light, multi-platform and designed for the way that forums are used in 2015.

2. As Calibre 11 has grown larger over time (yes, in our 5th year we're still growing strongly), I no longer have the capacity to personally answer the growing number of e-mail questions that I get each day. Rather than leave you with an unanswered mail, why not ask your question here? There is a wealth of knowledge about these watches that rests with our readers, so let's share the knowledge and opinions.

3. Many of you are already using Calibre 11 as a "forum", by asking questions in the comments articles on the posts. Sometimes these don't get answered because they get lost...there are some things that are simply easier with a forum structure. It will also allow a more natural flow to discuss Calibre 11 articles here, rather than reading them in one place and then commenting in another

I'm also pleased to say that TAG Heuer have been wonderfully supportive of the new forum and will have their own account so that they can answer some of your questions from time to time- let's set expectations at the right level- they won't be here every day, nor will they answer every question. But they are a part of the forum, which I'm delighted with.

The forum will, of course, grow naturally over time. How it grows will depend on you and what you want to see in a forum. I've been involved in many fora over time, and you can't "create one" overnight- all you can do is build the house, open the door and allow things to take their course.

Finally, a huge thanks to a couple of guys "up north" who have worked night and day to get the forum up and running. You know who you are- thanks guys.

dc

Not sure whether I'm on the right forum, if not, can you or anyone point me in the right direction please? I've got an approximately 17 year old Tag Heuer watch which I bought from Selfridges in London in about 1997 or 98. I think it's from the Formula 2000 or similar, but can't remember. I wear it every day, and want to sell it. Can anyone help? I've attached a photo.
Thanks,
Simon.

Not sure whether I'm on the right forum, if not, can you or anyone point me in the right direction please? I've got an approximately 17 year old Tag Heuer watch which I bought from Selfridges in London in about 1997 or 98. I think it's from the Formula 2000 or similar, but can't remember. I wear it every day, and want to sell it. Can anyone help? I've attached a photo.
Thanks,
Simon.

Hi Simon,

Yes, you have a "First Generation" Formula 1

http://www.calibre11.com/overview-tag-heuer-formula-1/

Perhaps try listing it on the Marketplace

Hi all. Long time Tag Heuer fan and am so glad to have found such a great 'site and forum with a wealth of information and insider reviews and interviews. Great job and I'm looking forward to sticking around.

Hi all. Long time Tag Heuer fan and am so glad to have found such a great 'site and forum with a wealth of information and insider reviews and interviews. Great job and I'm looking forward to sticking around.
Welcome!

Hi ASW, great that you found us! Welcome.

Thanks both. I'll get some photos up of my collection to show you all.