The watch market today - an example

Well, well, it looks like I underestimated the buyer. He's gone and gotten his money back. Watch is relisted.

Perhaps, but not in response to this thread. He would have had to return it days ago for the seller to have it to relist tonight.

a few buzzwords in the listing

Certainly not as bad an example dollar wise but surely even worse percentage wise.
All I can see 'going for them' is the use of the words "Vintage" and "Military" in the listing heading:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-2011-MILITARY-OMEGA-CHRONOGRAPH-MIILITARY-WATCH-BROCHURE-JAMES-BOND-007-/151624428414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234d852b7e&nma=true&si=Jmz5kakCqPj2slhzJZOg0XJguVU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
£205.00 - 29 March 2015

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-2010-MILITARY-OMEGA-CHRONOGRAPH-MIILITARY-WATCH-BROCHURE-amp-PRICE-LIST-/151613479250?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234cde1952&nma=true&si=Jmz5kakCqPj2slhzJZOg0XJguVU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
£112.00 - 18 March 2015

Aren't these just your standard Boutique (or even High Street jeweller in these days, 2010 & 2011) give-away brochures.
2010.JPG

No feedback either way yet, that I can see. And I know the winner of the latest one is a zero feedback newbie but there were several others bidding at stupid amounts.

I don't think I got anywhere close to half of that for a mint 1957 brochure :rolleyes:
Edited:

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Sorry for late comment.......I m been blocked during taping.... :)

GIGI

Lou,

I think the final price realized by this watch is indicative to a great degree of the power of the "Hodinkee factor." I can't make myself go nuts about the seller's language even though it turns me off and makes me disregard his ads. I can't make myself go nuts about the ignorance or idiocy of the buyer. Pricing aberrations like this have been happening for as long as there have been markets. Some of these aberrations have had an effect on the market and some haven't.

This deal does not make me smile from the thought that the watches I own are going to make me rich or frown because I think I am going to have a harder time finding watches to buy. There will always be hucksters and there will always be people with more money than brains. Neither has ever kept me from the hunt or the find.

JohnCote

I'll probably rue this thread when these are trading at four times that.....::facepalm2::

You've been given a second chance, brother!

I mentioned "the power of the Hodinkee factor in my above post. I just want it known that I did not mean for that to connote anything negative. I think Hodinkee and the knowledge and entertainment it provides are great factors. I hope and believe that Hodinkee and other sites stimulate interest in watch loving and collecting. Even if it drives up prices we need more collectors.

Even if it drives up prices we need more collectors

You don't mind paying more if it's worth more!

Great thread. I am one of "those" vintage Rolex guys hanging out here. Re bubbles, IMO the market will remain strong for the finest examples of iconic vintage Rolex and Omega references (perfect dial, unpolished case or near) as the pool of available watches reduces every year and the pool of buyers increases. Sellers of marginal Subs, GMTs or Speedmasters (soft case, flawed dial) are not getting high prices and are going to take a bigger hit in the case of a market downturn. Of course major economic meltdowns will harm all but the high quality examples will rebound and always be desirable.
My point is not a new one, buy the best example you can afford - it's better to buy a perfect example of a lesser reference than a marginal example of your most desired reference.
Russ

Welcome Russ.
We've seen a huge inflow of new members here
in the last 9 months. That's a good thing. Many of
them Rolex refugees I'm sure.
Edited:

My point is not a new one, buy the best example you can afford - it's better to buy a perfect example of a lesser reference than a marginal example of your most desired reference.
Russ

This is the best advice you can give new collectors. Quality is key!
Im also one of the "Rolex Refugees" whatever that means. Ive been lurking here for many years...but as I expand my collection I find this forum invaluable. Ive learned so much here. I don't think the Rolex market is as dire as some of you think. As Bluemartin pointed out, the best quality pieces are harder and harder to find, so its natural that prices will rise with demand. The PN Daytona is extraordinary yes...but do understand they are pretty rare as watches go. They weren't popular when produced and sat on the dealers shelves for up to 2 years before selling...so not many were made. Some variations only a handful (the example posted above is an example)...some only a few thousand. Thats a small number for any watch. This is what makes Rolex collection so interesting...the dial variations.
Edited:

This is the best advice you can give new collectors. Quality is key!
Im also one of the "Rolex Refugees" whatever that means. Ive been lurking here for many years...but as I expand my collection I find this forum invaluable. Ive learned so much here. I don't think the Rolex market is as dire as some of you think. As Bluemartin pointed out, the best quality pieces are harder and harder to find, so its natural that prices will rise with demand. The PN Daytona is extraordinary yes...but do understand they are pretty rare as watches go. They weren't popular when produced and sat on the dealers shelves for up to 2 years before selling...so not many were made. Some variations only a handful (the example posted above is an example)...some only a few thousand. Thats a small number for any watch. This is what makes Rolex collection so interesting...the dial variations.
Take it easy.
I spent 4 years on VRF collecting Rolex(still have them all)
I've been here 3.
I'm a Rolex refugee also. lol

Lou,

I think the final price realized by this watch is indicative to a great degree of the power of the "Hodinkee factor." I can't make myself go nuts about the seller's language even though it turns me off and makes me disregard his ads. I can't make myself go nuts about the ignorance or idiocy of the buyer. Pricing aberrations like this have been happening for as long as there have been markets. Some of these aberrations have had an effect on the market and some haven't.

This deal does not make me smile from the thought that the watches I own are going to make me rich or frown because I think I am going to have a harder time finding watches to buy. There will always be hucksters and there will always be people with more money than brains. Neither has ever kept me from the hunt or the find.

JohnCote

Spoken like an old salt. I find that steadying and comforting. I don't know what I would do without at least the prospect of the find!

You don't mind paying more if it's worth more!

Pass!

Spoken like an old salt.
Lou, my friend, I did have another birthday recently....so I guess I will accept the "old salt" deal...but even though, as you can see in the picture, my hair is starting to show more salt than pepper and I am getting a little thicker around the middle...I am still quick enough to find the occasional tic-tic-tic.

Best,

JohnCote

JohnTrack.jpg

Lou, my friend, I did have another birthday recently....so I guess I will accept the "old salt" deal...but even though, as you can see in the picture, my hair is starting to show more salt than pepper and I am getting a little thicker around the middle...I am still quick enough to find the occasional tic-tic-tic.

Best,

JohnCote

JohnTrack.jpg
Ahhh, at one of my favorite places in the world.
I feel the need......

Ahhh, at one of my favorite places in the world.
I feel the need......

.....for speed. We don't have long to wait. The new look IndyCars were fast at St Pete last weekend.

JohnCote