The Madness Continues - Zenith at Start-Stop Reset

Cairelli's are special. Big, attractive, authentic military pilots' watches, with in-house movements, a cool co-brand and "Roma" on the dial, and a limited production. If the Cairelli finds a level above $15-20k, its ascent will not surprise me the way the trajectory of, for example, the Nina Rindt has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cairelli's are special. Big, attractive, authentic military pilots' watches, with in-house movements, a cool co-brand and "Roma" on the dial, and a limited production. If the Cairelli finds a level above $15-20k, its ascent will not surprise me the way the trajectory of, for example, the Nina Rindt has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to get too nit picky - but would you really call their movements in-house?

From an online article (and I get that not everything online is true): "At the heart of the CP-2, you’ll find a hand wound chronograph caliber, known as the Cal. 146, and fear not, she’s definitely easy on the eyes. This movement was based upon the Martel Cal. 749, a design coming from a manufacture which Zenith purchased in 1960."

Yes - I suppose in a technical sense - if Martel was purchased before the making of these chronographs... you might have cause to say they're in-house. But it's a meaningless cause, in my eyes - as they did not personally invest in the making or design of the caliber. They just acquired the people that did. Sort of like Mont Blanc did to Minerva. Though at least with them - they have continued to develop new movement after the acquisition.

Not to get too nit picky - but would you really call their movements in-house?

Well, the 146HP was made by Zenith, for Zenith, so yes. I am less sure whether I would say the same about, for example, a UG cal 285, because I'm less sure of the nature of the business relationship between UG and Martel. I know only that Martel was not making movements exclusively for UG.

Yes - I suppose in a technical sense - if Martel was purchased before the making of these chronographs... you might have cause to say they're in-house. But it's a meaningless cause, in my eyes - as they did not personally invest in the making or design of the caliber...

I would say that contracting with a chronograph house for thousands of movements over a period of decades, before purchasing said house, is "an investment." As I see it, Zenith and UG basically co-owned Martel, before Zenith owned them alone.

Well, the 146HP was made by Zenith, for Zenith, so yes. I am less sure whether I would say the same about, for example, a UG cal 285, because I'm less sure of the nature of the business relationship between UG and Martel. I know only that Martel was not making movements exclusively for UG.

I would say that contracting with a chronograph house for thousands of movements over a period of decades, before purchasing said house, is "an investment." As I see it, Zenith and UG basically co-owned Martel, before Zenith owned them alone.

It was my impression that the 146HP was more or less the same caliber as that used by UG. It was a matter of bridge design. Shows how little I really know about the subject...

It was my impression that the 146HP was more or less the same caliber as that used by UG. It was a matter of bridge design. Shows how little I really know about the subject...

Compared with earlier versions of the cal 146 (and cal 285), produced before Zenith bought Martel, the 146HP had different shock protection (Kif instead of Incabloc), a different (glucydur) balance wheel, a different regulator, etc. But this is beside the point. Martel existed as the chronograph shop of UG and Zenith throughout the history of the wrist chronograph. The relationship between these three geographically proximate companies was extremely intimate throughout the 30's and 40's. Zenith used Martel movements in most of their chronographs - there was an overlap with Excelsior Park, of course - right up until they bought Martel. So this was not like Mont Blanc buying Minerva. Zenith had been paying a big chunk of Martel's R&D budget for decades.

Compared with earlier versions of the cal 146 (and cal 285), produced before Zenith bought Martel, the 146HP had different shock protection (Kif instead of Incabloc), a different (glucydur) balance wheel, a different regulator, etc. But this is beside the point. Martel existed as the chronograph shop of UG and Zenith throughout the history of the wrist chronograph. The relationship between these three geographically proximate companies was extremely intimate throughout the 30's and 40's. Zenith used Martel movements in most of their chronographs - there was an overlap with Excelsior Park, of course - right up until they bought Martel. So this was not like Mont Blanc buying Minerva. Zenith had been paying a big chunk of Martel's R&D budget for decades.

I know that UG and Zenith were both heavily invested in Martel's products and received the lion's share of their movements. But my thoughts were that since both UG and Zenith were in the game big time... neither can claim in-house.

I was lucky enough to try this one few days ago and I think that OF members would appreciate to see this NOS sample :
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Looks great!!!
Ive seen a few of the non issued pieces in similar condition.

All non issued are so; now, tomorrow and in the next years.... ;)

GIGI