The Madness Continues - Zenith at Start-Stop Reset

Unbelievable bargain! I'll take six!

puhhh everything as normal

image.png

No. I view this as the discount for non-issued pieces finally kicking in, with a vengeance.

No. I view this as the discount for non-issued pieces finally kicking in, with a vengeance.

Oh. In that case, I will take six AND a dremel tool.

So the thought is that an issued piece is worth 4x a non-issued version? Sounds good.

So the thought is that an issued piece is worth 4x a non-issued version? Sounds good.

Yes, F-104 pilot mojo constitutes 75% of the value of that watch.

The A3818 cover girl does seem to be the reasonable deal of the day

Yes, F-104 pilot mojo constitutes 75% of the value of that watch.

Quite reasonable. Very rare due to the safety record of that aircraft. (from http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/2/2/1360449/-The-not-quite-right-stuff-F-104-Starfighter):
"West Germany had a particularly high loss rate, partly from attempting to use the F-104 as a low-level strike aircraft. The West Germans lost about 30% of their F-104s over the years, killing 110 pilots in the process. German nicknames for the aircraft include "Flying Coffin", "Widowmaker" and "Ground Nail (Tent Peg)". If you wanted an F-104, the joke went, just buy a piece of land and wait.

Not to be outdone, Canada lost 110 of their 235 CF-104s. The RCAF sometimes called it the "Lawn Dart" or the "Aluminum Death Tube"."

Quite reasonable. Very rare due to the safety record of that aircraft...

"Lawn dart" is even funnier than "tent peg."

there's a great MST3K clip in that piece about the Starfighter

I KIND OF understand or COULD kind of understand the 37k CHF (actually more, don't forget 25% commissions! It actually is 46.25k CHF or USD) for the Zenith Sextant (it is even rarer than the Gallet, especially with its black dial and we all know how rarer those are and I saw it live in London when they previewed the sale: it was MINT!).
I KIND OF understand or COULD kind of understand the 65k CHF for the Universal Cairelli CP-2, it is the first one I have ever seen for sale.
I KIND OF understand or COULD kind of understand the 197k CHF for the 24h split second Universal Cairelli, it is super rare, super nice and this one was in unbelieveable conditions.
But for all the gold in the world I DO NOT GET the price of the Zenith Cairelli!!!!
It just doesn't make any sense at all.
I mean, you can buy 2 of these any day of the week for 15k at a push without trying hard.
Why then spend about 4x more! Why?!?!?!!??
I live in London , trust me when I say I know a lot of dumb reach people, and I mean serisouly rich and seriously dumb.... but not even the most stupid among them would pay 4x market price for something where there actually is a market!

There was plenty more insanity than the Cairelli, at least its quite rare.
The Heuers blew my mind...a 2446 Rindt sold for $76,888. Yes $76,888 for a watch thats, while not common is not as rare as an issued Cairelli. These sell frequently on Ebay for 10-15k.

I mean, you can buy 2 of these any day of the week for 15k at a push without trying hard.

where?

well, at least there were until yesterday!!! All sold within 24h!

well, at least there were until yesterday!!! All sold within 24h!

...and soon to be listed at slightly higher prices I would guess!!

Yea, saw those but I was referring to the "any day of the week"...I looked for 6 months before finally finding mine. They aren't so common, at least the issued ones.

On Chrono24 there were 4 for sale for months all around 13k EUR. They are all sold now, withint days of the auction.
Draw your own conclusions...

On Chrono24 there were 4 for sale for months all around 13k EUR. They are all sold now, withint days of the auction.
Draw your own conclusions...

yes but only one was an issued piece.