FIRST AUTOMATIC CHRONO: Zenith El Primero cal. 3019

...the Zenith factory had the foresight to save most of the spare parts supply (against company orders), ensured El Primero's survival to this generation.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/who-was-charles-vermot.2711/

The article at the top is very nice, but it is not definitive research. There has been no evidence presented that shows that January 10th should be celebrated for anything more than the first newspaper report of the existence of the El Primero. The press conference could have taken place on the 10th, the 9th or even late in 1968.

Can we accept January 10 as a terminus ante quem? I will be happy to celebrate El Communicado de Prensa del Primero on that day.

If the Zenith factory can find the press release, then we'll know the real date.
gatorcpa

We all (Zenith enthusiasts) wish the Zenith factory would engage more fully with its heritage and with the vintage enthusiast community, as Heuer has. It has done TAGHeuer absolutely nothing but good. It has been in the same physical plant since its establishment - there must be a lot of archival treasure hidden away. For now, whatever heritage is brought up is used in a very focused way to push product.

The January 10th looks good lous until we hear further from zenith, what do y'all think boys.

Can we accept January 10 as a terminus ante quem? I will be happy to celebrate El Communicado de Prensa del Primero on that day.

For the non doctors or lawyers in the audience: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/terminus_ante_quem

I'm OK with the Spanish. I'm around it all day, every day.

For now, whatever heritage is brought up is used in a very focused way to push product.
Like Omega and many other watch companies. Oddly enough, Omega's corporate twins Tissot and Longines are pretty good when it comes to identifying movement dates and case styles. Eterna is also very good with that.

JLC gets $500 for an archive lookup? Really?
gatorcpa

Fully agree. There is nothing to be gained in pushing the point to extremes in a community of knowledgeable enthusiasts.

What? ::popcorn::

OK... just going to lob one more firebomb. We'd probably know more about the early history of these fine automatic chronographs if it weren't for the technologically inferior Speedmaster hogging all the chronograph news bandwidth in Spring/Summer 1969. I blame the Omegans for the entire debate.
Hmm... think I can hear the sound of hordes of Speedmaster fanboys coming to "defend" themselves ::popcorn::

Ben's solution seems the fairest though - collect them all :D

Fascinating discussion btw.

No need any defense for Speedmaster in here. The swatch/ Omega marketing machine has taken care of that :p.

While 1% WIS argue heatedly, what matters for 99% is the branding bandwidth, which hogged by few brands backed by giant titan conglomerate.
Any tiny hole left by the marketing machine, is filled by dedicated collector who suck up all good condition specimen in the market.
Talk to any Speedy 321 hoarder around here.......:D

Ben's solution seems the fairest though - collect them all :D

Or collect none of them! ::bleh:: Leaves more money for brands that don't bicker with other brands. :rolleyes:

Or collect none of them! ::bleh:: Leaves more money for brands that don't bicker with other brands. :rolleyes:

And which brands might those be....?

Little JohnnyC

I know of no feud between Longines collectors and any other brand. Never heard of a UG versus _________ brawl either. No mention of an IWC steel cage match against another manufacturer on any watch forum I've read. Just some of the we-don't-want-no-stinkin'-fan-boy brands out there. ;)

Little JohnnyC

How about Seiko?
(kidding........ that's second highest fanboy population after Rolex)

OOO I don't like fan boys but unfortunately there seems to be few assholes around here::screwloose::

OOO I don't like fan boys but unfortunately there seems to be few assholes around here::screwloose::

Tell you what - have somebody you know that isn't really into watches read this thread. Don't tell them who is who or what your own screen name is, and then have them tell you who they think the biggest asshole has been. As a matter of fact, why don't you ask a few of your fellow Zenith collectors for their opinions as well. Maybe it will open your eyes so you can look clearly in the mirror.

I only find one. A little civility and moderation would be welcome.

I only find one. A little civility and moderation would be welcome.
HA HA OO HAHA I love it when a plan comes together ::stirthepot:: :p you poor gullible fools Merry Christmas HA HA OO Merry Christmas :p

Oh good, a joke. For a minute I believed you were a real internet troll and thought, what a shame, BGBG has some unique and valuable insights about early Primeros and he's going to be dismissed by other forum members as a troll.

I like to stir the pot sometimes, in what I feel is a good-natured way, but I was a little upset about this thread's descent into provocation and name-calling (though this is sometimes the price of freedom, and God save ΩF) when I considered that it started with a nice piece of detective work by a guy who seems to be a model of decorum, scholarship, humility and generosity. If more collectors and aficionados emulated him, the interwebs would be a better place. Maybe there's a New Year's resolution in there for me somewhere... So to get the thread back on track, kudos again to Nicola1960 for yet another job well done!
And a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

A curmudgeonly absurdist diplomat who stirs pots in a good natured way? Is that the best oxymoron of 2013 or did I just confuse myself? :p

….. and yes - thanks to Nicola for his detective work. :thumbsup:

Yes indeed my pot string was some what aggressive and I should have pulled the plug on it earlier, BUT man what a Buzz, and yes indeed thank you nicola . By the way did you hear the joke about the big fat heuer oooo nothing bye bye bye by b.

Yes indeed my pot string was some what aggressive and I should have pulled the plug on it earlier, BUT man what a Buzz, and yes indeed thank you nicola . By the way did you hear the joke about the big fat heuer oooo nothing bye bye bye by b.

Quoted so it can't be erased or modified by BGBG. Plus, I went back and checked to see that all his abrasive derogatory posts were quoted too.

Thanks for putting your feelings in writing. Love being handed evidence.