Zenith's Red-headed Stepchild From The 70s

In 1935, Paul Vermot founded "Paul Vermot & Co. S.A.", a small watch company that eventually adopted the name "Mondia Watch Company." The company capitalized on a growing Italian market, and, in 1969, was one of the founding members of MZM Holding (standing for Movado, Zenith and Mondia). It was turned into an entry-level brand for the group and sourced its movements from ETA and AS, rather than use Zenith movements. When the quartz crisis hit in the mid-70s, Mondia went away. Zenith owned the rights for awhile and eventually sold them off to an Italian company that puts out watches under the old brand name.

Despite its lowly status within MZM, I've always liked some of Mondia's funky 70s designs. I finally managed to snag a red Mondia Moonstone, shown below on top of an early 70s Zenith brochure with some of the other color options.

8883795981_8a5125b522_c.jpg

The case is uni-body plastic and opens from the front.
8884749018_a781a0daf6_c.jpg

No spring bars and only a very thin opening for a strap. I'm on the hunt for a thin NATO strap to replace the original leather that has seen better days.
8884749568_713dd5f471_c.jpg

Thanks to a watch blog with the yellow version, here's a movement shot. It looks like the Moonstone is powered by an AS 1950/51 calibre manual movement.
mondiamoonstonemystery4.jpg

Movement Image from: http://www.crazywatches.pl/mondia-moonstone-mystery-dial-1975

Thanks for reading,
Veritas99

Love it! Great period piece, and about time somebody dipped into Mondia. I should have known it would be you - you have the eye for the fringe pieces.

Dig it. Reminds me of the Fiberglas Favre-Leuba Moon Raider.

I bet Ikepod got some inspiration from this. Nice and interesting watch. Thanks for sharing.

Put a handle on it, grab a broom, a flask of Rye and a sheet of ice, and hey! it's mini-curling night!. Great addition to the collection, Mike

Cool! Instead of rubies it uses Swiss Moonstone in the movement! It's written on the back... Or did I make a mistake? :p