Your Opinions Regarding Primero Dial Damage

This has just come my way through the generosity of a French collector.

xDSC_0005_zps5d7d4aff.jpg

As you see there is a rather nasty gouge at the hour subdial - not just paint loss but damage to the metal. Does anyone know of a way to repair/disgiuse/mitigate?

Must be the famous Inspector Clouseau A384 - the watch that stopped a bullet! Sorry I can't help with repair advice - that damage took real effort!

This has just come my way through the generosity of a French collector.

xDSC_0005_zps5d7d4aff.jpg

As you see there is a rather nasty gouge at the hour subdial - not just paint loss but damage to the metal. Does anyone know of a way to repair/disgiuse/mitigate?

Sharpie? Photoshop?

It might be worth trying some black filler wax but you'd need good support for the dial, some good magnification and a very steady hand. I have done it with white wax but that was nowhere near any other dial features so the degree of care needed was not as great. At the end of the day, you've got nothing to lose with that dial.

Sharpie? Photoshop?

One of the reasons I asked the question was to see which wiseass would be first with "Photoshop":rolleyes:

At the end of the day, you've got nothing to lose with that dial.

That's how I figure it too. Now please elaborate about the filler wax - you're speaking to a complete ignorant on the subject.

One of the reasons I asked the question was to see which wiseass would be first with "Photoshop":rolleyes:

Now you know. :p Personally, I thought it would be Steve - with an example included. He must be asleep at the switch.

That's how I figure it too. Now please elaborate about the filler wax - you're speaking to a complete ignorant on the subject.

It's the same as the stuff they use to fill dings and nicks in furniture. Get the right color, and be careful to mold it exactly to match the contours, and it will dry that way.

It's the same as the stuff they use to fill dings and nicks in furniture. Get the right color, and be careful to mold it exactly to match the contours, and it will dry that way.

Just had a look at an online tutorial. I'm skeptical that I can make that work. I've got as steady a hand as the next guy, but I doubt there'd be a way to work it in and make it flush with the dial surface without damaging the surrounding paint. The black has a powdery texture, and from the smudges on the hours and chrono minutes subdial, I'm guessing it comes off pretty easily.

You could try retouching the shiny part of the divot with some matte black paint if you were really bold (and had practiced on some throwaways). In general though, repairs like this are likely to end in disaster and if you've got an itch to try something you have to be able to accept a redial--which is where it's headed when things turn south.

There was a watchmaker/watch wizard in hong kong who primarily works with Rolexes who is scary good at "retouching" dials to optimize the finish without compromising the important elements (text, logo, etc). I've certainly never used him, but saw some of his work over on the Rolex forum, I believe. When I say scary good, that's precisely what I mean. You'll never look at a nice looking dial the same way again, and frankly, I think I'd be fooled 9/10.

Post the link to the wax/furniture putty tutorial. Sounds interesting.

Have no idea myself but you might want to seek advice from a local shop that sells and more importantly paints scale models like railroads, planes and the like. They might have some ideas since they are used to painting tiny things.

Now you know. :p Personally, I thought it would be Steve - with an example included. He must be asleep at the switch.

Hey, I reserve my photo talents for totally useless, non relevant work only.::beer::

Lou, maybe you could find a great art restorer in NY? In the meantime, I go with PhotoShop...

LouDialFix.jpg

Something to remember is how one type of material (paint, in this case) interacts with another. If you have ever used lacquer paint over water-based paint then you know what I mean. You would want to get paint that is not going to dry without fully adhering and then flake off, taking more of the original dial with it. Find someone who restores vintage dials and see what (s)he thinks. There are two in the metro Atlanta area but I forget their names at the moment.