Who Knew Fedex Was Working Today?

It's a federal holiday in the States for you furriners out there, but I am roused from overhung slumber by the doorman hailing me in our national language, "Paquete, señor"

Well, one finds Zeniths in strange places (mostly Italy actually, which is not that strange, excepting the postal service), and this is no exception. It hails from an superbly pleasant and prompt seller in Cebu City, Phillipines. My old friends will say, "There goes Lou wading into franken country again - if it's not South America, it's SE Asia." So a short trip via Manila, Guangzhou, Narita, Anchorage, Newark, the Bronx ( :eek:), then to my door.

It's a nice steel Captain on beads-of-rice
xDSC_0006.jpg

Clean, modest, business-like, it's 36mm without crown. Surprising as these tend to run a little small
xDSC_0013.jpg

The dial is a very mellow eggshell white, very clean and sharp. In addition the somewhat particular hands are correct, as is the crown.
xDSC_0001.jpg

Movement ought to be rotted out, coming from SE Asia, but it isn't. It's a relatively rare cal 71
xDSC_0048.jpg

Relish those Geneva stripes! 1958 by serial number.
xDSC_0056.jpg

Overall, delighted by the watch and very grateful to the seller. Always happy to add a Captain, and it's the first 71 in the collection.

Now I see why the Seamaster waffle dial went up for sale. No sense having two nearly identical watches so keep the one from your favorite brand. :thumbsup:

Cebu is a pretty modern area and it also happens to have a long colorful history - Ferdinand Magellan arrived there first in 1521 and was slain in a clash with the Filipino Lapu Lapu who is considered the first hero of the Philippines.

Mine says Ahoy! Nice pick-up. I think you've covered the important wristwatch calibres. On to the 5011k deck watch!

A2E81F8A-D0ED-47DC-B74F-7974EA5618AA-10403-0000067275B64BA9.jpg

Now I see why the Seamaster waffle dial went up for sale. No sense having two nearly identical watches so keep the one from your favorite brand. :thumbsup:

Just maintaining Karmic balance.

Cebu is a pretty modern area and it also happens to have a long colorful history - Ferdinand Magellan arrived there first in 1521 and was slain in a clash with the Filipino Lapu Lapu who is considered the first hero of the Philippines.

Magellan must have landed with a box full of Stuhrlings. Lapu Lapu only did what he had to do.

Mine says Ahoy! Nice pick-up. I think you've covered the important wristwatch calibres. On to the 5011k deck watch!

A2E81F8A-D0ED-47DC-B74F-7974EA5618AA-10403-0000067275B64BA9.jpg

Ah, I forgot you had this one, thank you for confirmation that I've got the right hands.

You sure seem to go through those, can't you stand still. :p

Had to retire my brown AE Maxfield loafers after 6 years. :( These are the replacements.

Had to retire my brown AE Maxfield loafers after 6 years. :( These are the replacements.

Moving up to Park Avenue, very nice.