What's the El Primero gateway drug?

Correct price for the Datrons is around $2K.

I was happily searching for a gold plated c-case Movado to get into the El Primero game but was delighted to get my dream target at around the price suggested by LouS.

Datron.jpg

I was happily searching for a gold plated c-case Movado to get into the El Primero game but was delighted to get my dream target at around the price suggested by LouS.

Datron.jpg

That panda is probably the best of the Datrons, IMO. I'm partial to the 14K as well, which is(was) available for not much more and it is a serious hunk of Au.
IMG_2102.JPG

LOVE my Zenith EP. These are mid 2000's and go for 2300-2800 pre owned, minty condition. Mine is an auto with glass back. Did I say I LOVE it? image.jpeg

You open a thread to ask for cheap, but balk because it's not as desirable as the more expensive ones?
tumblr_inline_mgynhxao0m1rnc25d.gif

I think I should maybe take a break from posting here, as I've lately experienced that my posts have been taken the wrong way :(

It's exactly the same movement. Same level of finish, same features, same performance. The Datrons happen to have the 17 jewel version more frequently than the El Primeros because they were more often for the US market, but that's the only (potential) difference. The watch itself is of equivalent build quality IMO. Design, of course, is a matter of opinion.

The original intent was to get to know the various variations of the El Primero, so please continue posting all your input! The reasoning for my comment has only to do with the design - as you say, it's a matter of opinion. I only find that the bulky cases are at odds with the reasonably compact and sleek mechanism inside... I know it's a child of its time and I do find it cool - it's just isn't what I associate with the EP movement, but please keep up posting; I would love to see more variations!

I am aware of the US jewel tax, but where was the 14 jewels taken from? Seems curious that the performance shouldn't be affected?

Datron.jpg

That's very cool looking!

Not having a EP in the stable as yet but my gateway TO a EP is another great Zenith that is a nice piece of kit.
(Title does say gateway ! )
image.jpeg

Go big or go home imo :coffee:

tumblr_ndzk20YlNv1royoxho1_1280.jpg

I can fully agree

Movado Datrons are the starter drug

image2.JPG image5.JPG

Maybe a Sub Pilot would be also a good starter IMO but it's not everybody's taste

image4.JPG

Later maybe the "normal" EP or EP Flyback

image6.JPG

image1.JPG

For "go in or go home" do you need deep pockets but the "intoxication" is much longer;)

I think I should maybe take a break from posting here, as I've lately experienced that my posts have been taken the wrong way :(

The original intent was to get to know the various variations of the El Primero, so please continue posting all your input! The reasoning for my comment has only to do with the design - as you say, it's a matter of opinion. I only find that the bulky cases are at odds with the reasonably compact and sleek mechanism inside... I know it's a child of its time and I do find it cool - it's just isn't what I associate with the EP movement, but please keep up posting; I would love to see more variations!

I am aware of the US jewel tax, but where was the 14 jewels taken from? Seems curious that the performance shouldn't be affected?

That's very cool looking!
And while we're picking on you, I like your old avatar better :D

Nah, just the usual rough and tumble of the forum. No one gets out of here unscathed!

Arbitrary as far as I know. Perhaps someone smarter than I will explain if there is a technical rationale underlying?

And while we're picking on you, I like your old avatar better :D
+1 in favor of the old avatar:thumbsup:

I believe 14 jewels were removed from the chronograph mechanism... makes sense from the perspective of daily wear-and-tear.

I believe 14 jewels were removed from the chronograph mechanism... makes sense from the perspective of daily wear-and-tear.
I seem to remember hearing this too. Seventeen is a fully jeweled time only movement.
The other taxation item is movement adjustment, so many of the 17 jewel Primeros are also labelled "unadjusted."

CIMG2016.JPG

I agree on the Movado Datron HS 360. I put off getting one for a long time and regret it. The case is sublime. It looks big but wears svelte. Nice word that, svelte. But true. I put El Primero hands on mine and it is transformed. The bracelet, alas, westered. I am waiting for it to hopefully be repaired.

IMG_8439s.JPG

An often-overlooked El Primero is the 01.0210.415 or "C" case El Primero. It is another that I waited for a long time to get because I could not stand the hands. That got fixed.

IMG_8463s.JPG

The 01.0210.415 wears very nicely, somewhat similar to the Heuer Carrera 510.523 but slightly thicker. I really like it, even with the original hands. The 01.0210.415 can be found very inexpensively, but be careful: Sometimes the finish is polished and the crystal replaced. If you exercise patience, you can get a very nice example in the €1800-2000 range.

The last surprise was the A788. It is not the least expensive El Primero but they are generally less expensive than most of the better-known ones by a factor of a few hundred to a thousand or so less.

IMG_8427s.JPG

Be sure it has the correct (white-striped) hands and its tachy bezel. Yes, I know, mine is installed wrong. It is with my repairer right now waiting its turn, figuratively and literally. The A788 and its sister A787 wear very nicely owing the the shrouded lugs (more fits on the wrist top) and the fact that they are the thinnest of the Zenith El Primeros. I was genuinely surprised how much I like the A788. I do not really care for blue dials, but this one is very nicely done.

I agree on the Movado Datron HS 360. I put off getting one for a long time and regret it. The case is sublime. It looks big but wears svelte. Nice word that, svelte. But true. I put El Primero hands on mine and it is transformed. The bracelet, alas, westered. I am waiting for it to hopefully be repaired.

IMG_8439s.JPG

that's a nice substitution!

I started by snorting a Movado here and there.
15E35D57-6DD1-49A7-9A66-62B0A431FE31_zpshirypv8s.jpg

A2AE6388-7D4C-43BC-964C-15A60492CB68_zpsxqpwqoq1.jpg

Before I knew it, I was mainlining the hard stuff.
FFD4D3A1-3E92-4D26-B546-9092D14AA42D_zpsioi2fctq.jpg

48FC08FA-15D5-4443-80A4-90B238537DB0_zpsclsxosds.jpg
The 386 & 3818 are stunning! :thumbsup:

The addiction is more contagious than most. Even looking at pictures for too long may have life altering ramifications. Just walk away... walk away now... You've been warned!

IMG_4956.JPG