What exact model is this? Recommendations for Bracelet upgrades?

Hello friends,

My dad recently passed on an Omega Speedmaster. To confirm this is the original speedmaster? He got this in 1990s or so I believe.

The bracelet has lost some shine. Any recommendations? Get it serviced? Polished at a third party?

New bracelets look amazing but pricey. Third party bracelets any good?

Kind regards.

From the (not very good) photos the watch looks ok, but the bracelet has the wrong clasp (a newer)

Apologies for your loss. @Foo2rama could be a bit more helpful than I, but from the dial, the long S and long R (both in SpeedmasteR), and the short tail Q (in Qualified on the caseback) lead me to believe this is a mid-ish 80’s Speedy. As for a reference number, this would be a 145.022. The bracelet you have is a 1171 with 633 end links. Unfortunately the original 1171 stamped clasp is missing. You can always try to search eBay to find one or possibly keep an eye out in the parts section on this forum, as I have seen them pop up occasionally. The bracelet was never polished so it never really had a “shine” to it. As for third party bracelets, Uncle Seiko and Forstners are recommended brands.

Thanks a lot
From the (not very good) photos the watch looks ok, but the bracelet has the wrong clasp (a newer)

Apologies for your loss. @Foo2rama could be a bit more helpful than I, but from the dial, the long S and long R (both in SpeedmasteR), and the short tail Q (in Qualified on the caseback) lead me to believe this is a mid-ish 80’s Speedy. As for a reference number, this would be a 145.022. The bracelet you have is a 1171 with 633 end links. Unfortunately the original 1171 stamped clasp is missing. You can always try to search eBay to find one or possibly keep an eye out in the parts section on this forum, as I have seen them pop up occasionally. The bracelet was never polished so it never really had a “shine” to it. As for third party bracelets, Uncle Seiko and Forstners are recommended brands.
Thank you!

Turns out this from the 80s. Clasp was changed by my dad most likely.

Shall lookout for the stamped clasp.

Sorry for your loss. Of course you must do what is best for you, however if I had been left such a watch when my father died I would not have changed a thing. It’s how he wore it I would want to keep it as close to that as possible, just a service to maintain the movement.

But that’s me, you do you!
Best wishes.

Hey Lads,

Thanks a lot for the response. Just a quick clarification. Dad is alive and well 😅

I re-checked my post and the wording seems to have thrown off people.

😅

But I agree Paul. Thanks.

Hey Lads,

Thanks a lot for the response. Just a quick clarification. Dad is alive and well 😅

I re-checked my post and the wording seems to have thrown off people.

😅

But I agree Paul. Thanks.
I think the condolences were in reference to the cost of servicing your watch 😅

I’m glad everyone’s okay

I think the condolences were in reference to the cost of servicing your watch 😅

I’m glad everyone’s okay
😂😅😂😅

Looks mid eighties to me based on dial and caseback. (yup @Scarecrow Boat you nailed it)

Why replace the clasp? It’s an upgrade to the original 1171 clasp. Which are not amazing.

The 1171 is my personal favorite and looks as it should. Nothing to shine on it.

Looks mid eighties to me based on dial and caseback. (yup @Scarecrow Boat you nailed it)

Why replace the clasp? It’s an upgrade to the original 1171 clasp. Which are not amazing.

The 1171 is my personal favorite and looks as it should. Nothing to shine on it.
Thank you! Appreciate it. I shall keep it as it is.

@Foo2rama quick question my friend. The watch fits a little loose even after removing couple of links. With the clasp, is there a limit to the links that can be removed?

Kind regards.

@Foo2rama quick question my friend. The watch fits a little loose even after removing couple of links. With the clasp, is there a limit to the links that can be removed?

Kind regards.
It looks like all links have been removed from your pictures. There should be 2 locations on the buckle for sizing and I think I see it’s on the tighter one.

It looks like all links have been removed from your pictures. There should be 2 locations on the buckle for sizing and I think I see it’s on the tighter one.
If you need shorter try reaching out to unclestraps.com

If you need shorter try reaching out to unclestraps.com
Thank you. Have reached out to them. Could a watch maker use the unce sieko bracelet and keep the omega clasp?

Thank you. Have reached out to them. Could a watch maker use the unce sieko bracelet and keep the omega clasp?
It would most likely work with no issues assuming it’s the same width at the clasp.