Unreasonable price increases and paying more for less

Excellent. I feel like it’s something I could have written. lol.

There’s nothing in there that I disagree with, especially the final paragraph.

Imagine hodinkee publishing something like this

laughing-guy-meme-2.jpg

Relatively affordable Swiss-made watch. Is there any brand that fulfills this these days? Perhaps Tissot and other Swatch brands like dat

OTOH, besides assembly, how much of a Tissot is actually Swiss :rolleyes:
At least 50% of it, allegedly, plus assembled and tested there. Another website suggests that at least 60% of the manufacturing costs are incurred in Switzerland. That’s easily done these days, with ultra cheap components from China.

Percentage of the value is such bs indeed, got to love Switzerland and their schemes

It was from a Google, so comes with the usual warnings, but I totally agree if that is true.

Sooooo easy to achieve when sourcing stuff from an ultra cheap supplier like Chiba and then adding silly high Swiss manufacturing costs.

Percentage of the value is such bs indeed, got to love Switzerland and their schemes
You can compare that to other European countries’ “Made in” regulation (France, Germany, etc…) and the Swiss one will look like the posterboy of transparency! :p

But yeah - dropping a CH movement - in Switzerland - into an otherwise CHN-made watch is enough to qualify for “Swiss Made”. Works for me, TBH. And you’ll still get access to a local after-sales service.

[...] established luxury watch brands are normally selling to people who chose that brand because it represents the top of their spending ability, meaning that most consumers buying a luxury product tend to reach as high as they can from the outset. They normally don’t underspend on luxury goods because doing so doesn’t deliver the emotional kick they want out of the purchase. Accordingly, when brands raise their prices, they end up alienating a large part of their existing customer base [...]

[...] implication is that when brands raise their prices these days, they often have to look for an entirely new customer base. That means the cost and time of forming brand-new relationships with customers and demographics, and probably needing to apply patience while getting to know a new consumer mindset [...]

It will be interesting to see TAG Heuer's market position in five years when I can no longer afford their products :thumbsup:

You will still be able to afford their products. Just pre-owned. Now that you have embraced the pre-owned market a whole new world is opening up to you.

You will still be able to afford their products. Just pre-owned. Now that you have embraced the pre-owned market a whole new world is opening up to you.
So you have no issue with a continued 10-15% price increase per year?

Are you thinking that TAG are trying to move away from being people's "first nice watch"? I think they'll probably continue their strategy of trying to be the Swiss entry point, as well as stretch the brand up to tourbillons, gold and diamonds. If Jim can no longer afford any of TAG's products in 5 years, then something will either have gone badly wrong for his career, the Swedish economy, or TAG itself.