The Night Owl Scores A De Luca

I was up late the other night and like so many of us do I figured I check one out the eBay new listings one last time before nodding off. I found a first series Zenith De Luca listed and it had 10 watchers and 1 declined offer on it by the time I saw it so I moved fast.

I quickly read up on threads mainly started by John Chris and decided everything seemed as it should be. The seller was asking $3,499 or best offer so I offered him $3,025 plus $55 shipping and he accepted within the hour. I immediately paid and crossed my fingers his kids wouldn’t drop the watch and ruin another one for me.

The seller shipped the watch Friday and I received my “watch parts” first thing this morning. My first impression was the watch has a great subtle wrist presence with a less is more look and the acrylic crystal was a bonus for me. The subsequent models adapted mercedes hands, El Primero script on the dial, screw down pushers, sapphire crystals, and round hour markers.

The De Luca models came in white or black dials with contrasting sub-dials. Add in various subtle changes from the late 80’s into the mid 90’s and you will see a different array of De Luca models out there.

Everyone will have their favorite DeLuca model but this first series is mine.
Scott

Zenith DeLuca 2.3.14 (3).jpg Zenith DeLuca 2.3.14 (2).jpg Zenith DeLuca 2.3.14 (1).jpg Zenith DeLuca 2.3.14 (4).jpg Zenith DeLuca 2.3.14 (5).jpg

What a win! Excellent, even patina, and doesn't look too roughly treated by time either. I 100% agree with you that this is the best of the De Lucas - the others reek too much of Rolex wannabe.

Also, it was quite daring to "best offer" it, as the BIN price was already reasonable. I stared at this one for a while, and even commented to a couple of you others that I didn't know what was wrong with me but I couldn't pull the trigger - I kick myself now of course. It was definitely a failure of mojo on my part.

What can I do but...quite seriously...DIBS!

Nice snag! :thumbsup: Just goes to show that even if a Best Offer option isn't in the listing it doesn't mean the seller won't accept a decent one.

What a nice looking watch. It appears to be in beautiful honest carefully worn condition. I love it. Congrats on the purchase.

JohnCote

As one of the 10 watchers, I commend you on your decisiveness. Great looking watch at a great price.

Man, I thought i will be fine with the A277. Now you lead me on to this. Congrats on a fine one. Love the creamy patina on the markers/hands.

Man, I thought i will be fine with the A277. Now you lead me on to this. Congrats on a fine one. Love the creamy patina on the markers/hands.

The DeLuca is a gateway drug to the post-apocalypse Primeros.

theres another for sale at Ca'venezze(no affiliation)if anyone interested.......MikeB.

Superb watch you got there, and I love the look of the ivories behind it...Do you tinkle? ;)

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I do tinkle the ivories as a form of therapy thanks to the four girls at home and one in college.

Congratulations - great pickup! That's on my wishlist, and it looks like you scored a nice one at a good price.