Speedmaster losing time all of a sudden

Hi all, this is one for the watchmakers among us I guess, I’m just looking for a bit of advice.

For context, I have a rudimentary knowledge about watch movements, gained through some of the YouTube watchmakers, I’ve never done anything more complicated than removing a movement or changing a quartz movement's battery.

I've a 2019 Speedmaster Pro (1861), which has consistently run around +1spd and I've been extremely happy with it.

Since the clocks went back in the UK at the end of October, I've noticed on a couple of occasions now that the watch is running a couple of minutes slow - naturally, the first time I assumed I'd set it incorrectly.

I've since found out the watch is running about -7spd by carefully measuring against known sources over the course of a few days, obviously I don't have a proper timegrapher but using one of the phone apps, this would seem to support it - the watch seems to have dropped about 8 seconds in no time.

The (admittedly sketch) watch timegrapher app is giving me a middling beat error of 0.8ms although a healthy 270deg of amplitude (when adjusted for a 50deg lift angle), but I have seen this drop to a less healthy 230deg when measured around midday (this will also give varying times and beat errors which I guess is more of an issue with the app.

Also, I have noticed today holding the watch to my ear and listening, there is an audible click when held dial up, this is approximately every 15-20 seconds and sounds almost like a spring clicking or something jumping.

The watch has had a consistent 3 and a half years of wear, worn and wound daily, it's used gently so suffered no knocks or damage. By Omega's own guidelines the watch shouldn't need servicing for a short while yet - so do I send it in in the hope it's a repair rather than a service? - it still has a year and a bit of warranty cover.

In short, can I have damaged anything by changing the time? - I can't imagine it has issues with time setting as some movements with date complications have, and the watch time was changed in the late evening on an approx. 50% wind, and always clockwise in direction - I don't like fake hacking the watch.

My issue is the clicking, and if this could be something broken or amiss in the geartrain? And if so, would wearing it damage more parts?

Thanks in advance,
Edited:

Interesting observations:thumbsdown:
It would concern me as well with its history of running at +1 to go to -7 all of a sudden with the regular periodical click.
Something is clearly off with it that would require attention.
Ordinarily and probably in this case I would recommend letting the watch run right down to a complete stop, then fully rewinding it and going again to see if there's any appreciable change.
If nothing comes of it, at least you can say you did it, if it's suggested when puting it in and could expedite it at their end.
That leads me to conclude with sending it in with a view to getting that warranty ball rolling.

Perhaps Al can come along in a bit and give some concrete advise:thumbsup:
It sounds very much like a watchmaker's realm;)

Another candidate for the watch doctor! You say it’s still under warranty, hand ball it to omega or one of their dealers.
And no I doubt resetting the time would be a problem unless there was something already wrong.
I would however stop using it until you have the issue resolved, if something has come adrift ( which the strange clicking sound may well indicate) it could well jam.

Interesting observations:thumbsdown:
It would concern me as well with its history of running at +1 to go to -7 all of a sudden with the regular periodical click.
Something is clearly off with it that would require attention.
Ordinarily and probably in this case I would recommend letting the watch run right down to a complete stop, then fully rewinding it and going again to see if there's any appreciable change.
If nothing comes of it, at least you can say you did it, if it's suggested when puting it in and could expedite it at their end.
That leads me to conclude with sending it in with a view to getting that warranty ball rolling.

Perhaps Al can come along in a bit and give some concrete advise:thumbsup:
It sounds very much like a watchmaker's realm;)
It quite literally feels as is its all of a sudden.

I may give that a go, it's not something I though of to be honest. The watch has never run down in my ownership.

Did you try demagnetizing the watch?
Thanks for the suggestion.

I've not, I don't have the tools unfortunately, and not sure how the watch could have become magnetised, certainly not been exposed to anything out of the ordinary

I was under the impression that a magnetised watch would run fast?

Another candidate for the watch doctor! You say it’s still under warranty, hand ball it to omega or one of their dealers.
And no I doubt resetting the time would be a problem unless there was something already wrong.
I would however stop using it until you have the issue resolved, if something has come adrift ( which the strange clicking sound may well indicate) it could well jam.

I might give the service centre a call, Swatch UK is only 5mi from me, it used to be one of my stops as. DHL driver.

The gear that carries the chronograph minute counter is indexed every minute as the spring loaded jumper that indexes the gear, clicks over a tooth. It happens only once a minute, and if you are able to hear it, it is indeed a surprise to me!

Morning all, and thanks for your comments. , I'm back on the computer now so replying is a bit easier.

The gear that carries the chronograph minute counter is indexed every minute as the spring loaded jumper that indexes the gear, clicks over a tooth. It happens only once a minute, and if you are able to hear it, it is indeed a surprise to me!

Thanks for this, I think I understand, and this happens without the chronograph running? I was under the impression that this would be isolated generally - again, no expert, just trying to understand your comments.

So I take it it's the right-handmost wheel (with cam) on this pic, shown without the spring loaded jumper.
ml_image.312112.jpg

And the underside of the bridge showing this spring and jumper?
ml_image.312117.jpg

If so, that spring looks like it would be low tension and the snap I hear sounds more akin to a higher tension spring, more akin to a yoke spring or something - please take this with a huge pinch of salt...

i just thought I'd try to hear it and it happened about 15 seconds past 0 (running seconds) and didn't happen again in well over 2 minutes, again it seems more common when placed dial up.
Edited:

Thanks for this, I think I understand, and this happens without the chronograph running? I was under the impression that this would be isolated generally - again, no expert, just trying to understand your comments.

So I take it it's the right-handmost wheel (with cam) on this pic, shown without the spring loaded jumper.
ml_image.312112.jpg

And the underside of the bridge showing this spring and jumper?
ml_image.312117.jpg

If so, that spring looks like it would be low tension and the snap I hear sounds more akin to a higher tension spring, more akin to a yoke spring or something - please take this with a huge pinch of salt...

i just thought I'd try to hear it and it happened about 15 seconds past 0 (running seconds) and didn't happen again in well over 2 minutes, again it seems more common when placed dial up.

Yes, that's what he's talking about, but it's not the source of your sound. That spring only "clicks" when the chronograph is running, and then only once per minute.

Thanks Archer, I didn't think this was the case, as I suspected, this would be isolated without the chronograph running.

I just thought someone might have come across this before, but not to worry, as far as I'm aware the click might have always been there, (I don't see how), but I've never listened to the watch closely before..

I'll keep an eye on it and see if it worsens, if so, it's off to the service centre.

thanks for all your replies, it really is much appreciated.

So a bit of an update on this, the watch recovered slightly and then started losing about 20 sec a day, whilst I steeled myself for the £850 service costs, I happened into the OB at the Metro Centre in Gateshead, on chatting to the charming Phoebe. She said it would likely be covered under warranty.

As it was bought online, the card turned up undtanped and undated, but luckily I keep the sales receipt for it in the box... and wouldn't you know it, the warranty expired 5 weeks earlier... ::facepalm2::

Phoebe let me know that there is a slight leeway on warranty, typically 6 months and to call Omega SC, which handily is about 5mi from my home. A call into them and they confirmed, they would cover it under warranty, and best bit, I could take it in myself!

So I dropped it off and spoke with a very helpful associate, who advised lead-in for service work was 12 weeks, and warranty 6 weeks. They also told me that their service centre is moving to a purpose-built facility and likely to open next year, and it's likely they will allow visitors... so I out my name down for that!

Anyway, surprise, surprise after just over 2 weeks, I was advised by their CIS system that my watch was repaired and ready for collection, apparently having received a full service....a quick call confirmed and and I was off to collect.
1000036729.jpg
The watch was received cleaned, albeit unpolished (as this is not warrantable work) in their nice new service case. I had asked them to advise the issue, and the response was low amplitude, likely to lubricants drying up, unsure how likely on a 5year old watch, and being a warranty case, there were no parts received back, a tad concerning how quick the process took, but can't complain for the saving made!
1000036730.jpg
It's keeping good time, possibly gaining a bit on the wrist, and doesn't make the clicking sound any more, at least as far as I can ascertain!