Should I Keep the Old Crown?

I have a vintage datejust that's being serviced. The gold crown is being replaced, which I understand is common, and will be replaced with a new factory crown. The watchmaker will return the old crown to me.

Knowing what I know about the watch's history, there's a good chance that the crown being replaced is the original crown. However, if the watch was even serviced once, it's likely not the original crown.

Either way, is there any benefit to hanging on to this old crown? Otherwise, given the price of gold, I thought of simply selling it to fund a nice new leather strap for the datejust.

If you ever intend to sell the watch to another collector, keep it.

I have a feeling that it may just have a gold shell, but let us know when you get it back.

My temporary crown is plastic. I think the one I get in three weeks will be porcelain. Neither though is rolex. I just hope the new one does not violate the aftermarket copyright and trademark. Like the one drawn on the daycare learn how to tell the time Popsicle stick clock face.

This crown replaces a cracked filling. So I did not get to keep all the mercury silver that was ground away and I swallowed. Better open up some vintage radium dials and breathe in a tracer of radon gas.

The mercury though if free will plate my brain, and I will then start having weird thoughts. So far though the hands do not seem shaky, so I may try pivoting escapements.

I think Brigadoon is just over the horizon ...

"How are things in Glockamora? ..."

My temporary crown is plastic. I think the one I get in three weeks will be porcelain. Neither though is rolex. I just hope the new one does not violate the aftermarket copyright and trademark. Like the one drawn on the daycare learn how to tell the time Popsicle stick clock face.

This crown replaces a cracked filling. So I did not get to keep all the mercury silver that was ground away and I swallowed. Better open up some vintage radium dials and breathe in a tracer of radon gas.

The mercury though if free will plate my brain, and I will then start having weird thoughts. So far though the hands do not seem shaky, so I may try pivoting escapements.

I think Brigadoon is just over the horizon ...

"How are things in Glockamora? ..."
So you cant leave it out for the Tooth Fairy :confused:
1010648-tooth_fairy.jpg

Generally vintage DJ crowns were gold capped. Modern ones are solid gold and if it’s serviced by a Rolex approved watchmaker, he or she will have to replace it with a solid gold crown which was around £180 last time I looked.