Record-Setting Defy

I think this is a record price at auction for an octagonal Defy diver. It's a special one, so I don't know that this portends any more love for the more common models... though they deserve it.

5b4b939165f3862eed165e0efe034546.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/151871281360

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
I loved the look but when I saw that
13 in the date window, I said No Way

Geez Louise, are there any watches I can still just wear? Only a matter of time before they show up in a Phillips auction....

I thought about this one right down to the end. Anyone here get it?

there's also the little matter that the seller was banned from this forum for dubious business practices, one of the extremely few so distinguished.
Edited:

Scarce version, and at least two someones wanted it badly.

I loved it for (to my eye) its very MMMDian qualities. Reminds me of about 4 or so I think I've seen him sporting in WRUW over the years!
Edited:

I was in contact with the seller, who said he'd take 1500 privately on Friday. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash at the time (fucking agencies eh), and the water damage on the dial turned me off, along with the ratty case around the crown (and incorrect crown).

Kicking myself now though...

I launched a bid in the last few seconds at my highest price. Great looking piece, but I'm fine not having won it.

I launched a bid in the last few seconds at my highest price. Great looking piece, but I'm fine not having won it.

That's Jeff Stein's "point of indifference," or the "Stein Point" - the price at which you are indifferent about winning or not winning the auction.

That's Jeff Stein's "point of indifference," or the "Stein Point" - the price at which you are indifferent about winning or not winning the auction.
What is it called when you lose your mind at the "moment of truth" to such a degree that you opt to win at any and all costs only to then wish, once that moment has passed, that you actually possessed a Stein Point?!?!?!?!

What is it called when you lose your mind at the "moment of truth" to such a degree that you opt to win at any and all costs only to then wish, once that moment has passed, that you actually possessed a Stein Point?!?!?!?!

That's the business model for auction houses.

The remorse cliff?

I seem to remember discussing one of these here a year or two ago which had achieved around E1600, back then we thought that was a high but not unwarranted price due to the rarity of this version.

Better not say what I paid for mine :p

093.JPG