Power Hungry forum

Just an observation about this site.

I love reading the threads and looking at the photos but it it is constantly disconnecting and refreshing. Once it finally comes back it is often in a different location than where I was in the middle of reading. The ads are atrocious and placed (or pop up) such that trying to advance to the next page finds me on another site.

I get it’s a business and the site owners are interested in click generated revenue above all else, but besides the navigational difficulties all the animated pop ups destroy the battery in my phone.

Typically I can go all day on one charge including surfing other sites at will, but my battery is draining at about 1%/minute of site time here. That is astronomically high power consumption.

I literally stop reading threads and disconnect from the site after a while because it’s just too frustrating to use and keep finding my place in the older threads.

I know this message will most likely be ignored by anyone in a position to change it, but I felt the need to voice my displeasure.

Are you aware that you can purchase an ad free annual membership as a Tier 1 member? It's cheap and will solve all your problems with the site.

Are you aware that you can purchase an ad free annual membership as a Tier 1 member? It's cheap and will solve all your problems with the site.
That's also my suggestion. I participate in many watch forums, and this is by far the best, in part because of the excellent custom platform that is so incredibly superior to all of the crappy turn-key forum software. Without the excellent platform, I doubt that we would have so many engaged experts contributing excellent content.

I'd definitely encourage you to upgrade your membership, and why not add an avatar while you're at it.

The owners are doing this as a passion project. They have day jobs. The adverts and subscriptions help offset their out of pocket costs. This forum works better than most. Subscribe.

To upgrade to a Tier 1 membership, go up to your avatar (which is currently a question mark) on the top right hand side of the page. Click the down arrow, click settings, and then click account upgrades. A Tier 1 membership is $50 for 12 months. If you want to learn about all things Omega and have access to advice and counsel from some of the most experienced collectors on the planet (alas, not me), it's the best money that you'll ever spend.

Yea I do wish we could reduce it a bit but as a forum we get classified as a non-authoritative source and that leads to us getting about 7-8% as much as a similar sized site that is just a simple blog covering the same topic. That’s why we’re trying to grow the stories section as it gets that much higher rate but has a fraction of the traffic, and eventually it can take some burden off the forum but we go through so much traffic and storage that our servers are rather costly to run.

Thank you so much everyone who does subscribe to remove ads, we are going to try to give you more benefits for that in the future but are still working on the next version of the site at the moment.

The owners are doing this as a passion project. They have day jobs. The adverts and subscriptions help offset their out of pocket costs. This forum works better than most. Subscribe.

This.

69 posts in three weeks since joining this forum. Mostly likes posted in reply to meaningful posts from others. A disgruntled post farmer, it would appear. Oh dear!

69 posts in three weeks since joining this forum. Mostly likes posted in reply to meaningful posts from others. A disgruntled post farmer, it would appear. Oh dear!
I'm not sure that I would make that assumption. Using the website without an upgraded account is a pain in the ass and posting isn't that easy what with ads popping up all the time, the website refreshing, etc.

Typically I can go all day on one charge including driving to other sites at will, but my battery is draining at about 1%/minute of site time here. That is astronomically high power consumption.

disappointed TESLA - driver? :D

Just double checking we do all get the same adverts?

I guess I’d forgotten about the ads. I found this site, made an account, and started reading and asking questions. The answers I received were well worth the price of admission and I therefore made the appropriate upgrade to support the running of the site. I haven’t been disappointed yet. Money well spent in my opinion.

I guess I’d forgotten about the ads. I found this site, made an account, and started reading and asking questions. The answers I received were well worth the price of admission and I therefore made the appropriate upgrade to support the running of the site. I haven’t been disappointed yet. Money well spent in my opinion.

Same. I forgot this site even had ads. I used an ad blocker so no ads. Then bought a Tier 1 to support the site.

I get it’s a business and the site owners are interested in click generated revenue above all else,
Thus is a baseless assertion that is frankly offensive. OF was run ad free and subscription free for a long time before the costs became prohibitive causing the site owners to seek revenue from ads to help. As others have said the cost of an ad free subscription is frankly peanuts compared to the advice and excellent content.
probably best to either cough up and stop whining or move on.

I get it’s a business and the site owners are interested in click generated revenue above all else, but besides the navigational difficulties all the animated pop ups destroy the battery in my phone.
[...]
I know this message will most likely be ignored by anyone in a position to change it, but I felt the need to voice my displeasure.
I tend to hold back because no-one ever appointed me to the judges' bench, but your earlier contributions here make me disappointed to see this. A member less than one month and you're already "voicing your displeasure" about a first world problem that has a simple remedy, and taking aim at the people giving up their time to create the site. The forum is used to the drive-by types with one watch and a sweary vocabulary, but somehow this is much more annoying to see. Let's maybe call it a misunderstanding and move on.

I agree with others that if you find value in the site it’s worth the $50 a year to go ad free. Not really fair to criticize the owners as one of them had mentioned awhile back selling watches to pay the bills for us. Not to mention the tons of work they put into this site which is a side project for them.

If you have to, use an ad blocker or use the Brave browser which blocks everything by default.

I forgot about the ads until yesterday when my annual subscription expired. ::facepalm2::