Newbie, newbuy and old 2852.

Hello all! Glad to be here and apologies for the lateness in my first post. I have conversed with one of the members here, who is also on IG, into the pitfalls of seeking to purchase a black textured dial Omega. Thankfully the person in question was only too happy to pass on some vital knowledge that prevented me from making a big mistake and a not so big mistake, but a wrong decision anyway. He selflessly opened my eyes to what I had got myself into. I am into my classic steel bikes, so not totally ignorant of the fact, that knowledge is power, and a little homework is key. Now my intention was to try and build up some knowledge and get my eye in as to what I really want. I'm a very impulsive purchaser, as my groaning garage would testify to (garage is not a euphemism for wife btw), so wanted to spend right, and spend once (which actually turns out to be twice or thrice, as knowledge and eyes grow). This all in readiness to treat myself for my 50th, coming up next year. I’ve looked at new Omega’s and even a Rolex Explorer (the only one I liked) but felt I was buying a watch for the sake of it. The Rolex was too, well, Rolex. The Heritage 300 was lovely, but too big and didn’t really replace my Oris Aquis beater. The Vision Hour was also lovely, but did I want to blow that much money on one item, especially if it didn’t have an engine? I’ve yet to purchase my motorcycle (house swallowed that little pot) and I have a Lambretta in bits. Besides, a large chunk of that sort of budget would feel selfish if not spent on a family holiday. Sorry, waffling…
Plan was, save and research.
I've always preferred old over new, and one thing was for sure, Omega.
IG gave me the most eye candy, and like I said to our mutual friend was, I want a watch that I can change into, like a pair of slippers. Something that I could just glance at and never get bored with. Be content in the care that it was crafted with and the care that nursed it through 50, 60 or 70 years at least. Something that was a little different, that said quality but didn’t say, come take me from this old duffers wrist.
In my waking eyes, I wanted gold, I wanted black dial and it had to be textured.
Or so I thought, after hearing my brief, he reached out with a watch that he was willing to move on. It was a SS Constellation with hobnail dial and yellow gold markers. Slightly over polished, that I did not spot but was pointed out, and a little tidy up, but otherwise original.
As with all hobbies and such, when you buy off an enthusiast, you get the passion for free. I was extremely tempted, it was, as it turned out, what I was looking for. I’m not normally one for mixing metals, but I does work on vintage items, much more than it does on modern, and it worked lovely on this old girl! I won’t go into the ins and outs of the deal, but I bought the seller, just hadn’t factored in the price of the watch. To me it was a great deal, the “legwork” had been done for me, and it was coming from a stunning collection and a really really nice guy. I just would have had to move too much of my other bits and pieces to make it work, and at this time of year, they would have to be steals. I politely declined, and I must say, this was a no pressure sale, and at no point was made to feel obliged.
I subsequently jumped from IG, to Google images, from FB to forums and such, trying to pick up info here and there. My eye was starting to favour the more “slab” like profile of the 2577, which on appearance seemed a little more affordable and available, maybe
Anyway, working nights and a house renovation along with a family, doesn’t leave much time for research and such, so maybe that’s at fault for the reason of this waffling post, or quite simply, I’m too impulsive, like many others that promise to learn a new hobbie or interest before taking the plunge.
I was scouring images and one such image of a black 2852 on BOR bracelet, led me to the auction of another such watch on the same auction site. My inquisitiveness and foolish thinking I’d stumbled on some secret market for Omega had me bidding last minute on an example that appealed to me. I was prepared to lose out, and felt strangely ok with this. I knew that I would find the watch of my desires from my new acquaintance or similar, but I wanted to play along. The estimate was £1450 - 1550 but with a reserve. I factored in the reserve somewhere between 15 and 30% off the estimate. I also factored in the fees (29.54%) and had a price in mind, that I was dead set on going for.
Well, my price changed. There was some bid, an opening bid, that didn’t satisfy the reserve. Neither did my three subsequent attempts to meet the reserve. It turns out that the reserve must have been equal to the lower estimate, as no more bids meant a no sale.
I was a little relieved after I “tott’d up” the final cost of my bid, surprising how quickly a budget can be blown.
I almost left it but played one more roll of the dice and made contact with the auctioneer. I offered my final bid, nothing more, nothing less.
I heard back a short while after and it was good news. My offer was accepted! But not only that, no fees to me (those that know, know).
So now, I am the very happy owner of this little thing…
A little rough around the edges, some crazing to the lacquer, which has meant the gilt font has suffered with the green weed of verdigris (it’s white fluff mostly but green in places). I love it at present, and it’s my first (not “only” hopefully). But would love to maybe bring the font out with a cotton bud and saliva or something that may remove the corrosion but not the dial. If that’s too risky, it will stay as is. I don’t mind a story.
Thoughts on what I have and what have I done are welcome 😂.
Well done to those that didn’t skip to the end, and perhaps an apology from me is in order. IMG_0330.jpeg IMG_0303.jpeg IMG_0306.jpeg IMG_0320.jpeg IMG_0313.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, I hope you will enjoy your watch.

Longest first post ever! Welcome to the forum! This is quite a story!!
Yeah, I drive my wife nuts. What do they mean by, “get to the point”?

I'll read your post after I complete "War and Peace" in the original Russian. I'm on page 3.

And, thumbing through this tome of a book, I see no pictures, so please post some nice HiRez pix here when you receive it so I may be distracted a bit before plowing ahead.:coffee:

I'll read your post after I complete "War and Peace" in the original Russian. I'm on page 3.

And, thumbing through this tome of a book, I see no pictures, so please post some nice HiRez pix here when you receive it so I may be distracted a bit before plowing ahead.:coffee:
I always get a puzzled look when I get back from the pub and answer “nothing much” to the question, “so what did you talk about”?
There are a few pics after the brief introduction, you may have drifted off. To be honest, it was knocking on a bit and I’d spent enough time compiling the post, I’d run out time to post more pics. I had to add them one by one too.