New member in search of first (perhaps only one) "high-end" watch

Hi all,

Very glad to find this forum.

A little bit about myself and how I got here.

I have been collecting watches for some time. My nicest watches have been mostly Tissot watches and a couple G-Shocks. These are great watches for the money.

Over these years, I was wondering whether I would get a high-end watch one day. I have been very happy with my Tissot and still am. I didn't want to buy high-end just because of the prestigious brand or because the watch looks good. It has to have something more than just the brand and the look. That day has come however (see why towards the end of this introduction). And for me "high-end" means Omega, Glashutte Original, Rolex, IWC and a few others. I am aware there are higher ends up there, but they are not for me.

I like the Glashutte Original Senator, but it's too dressy. I am looking for some thing that I could use every day. The IWC Ingenieur appeals to me too but not as much as Omega and Rolex.

Rolex was my #1 choice. I know Rolex when I was a child since my dad had one. I have always like simple dials so the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 36mm black dial resonates well with me. 38mm would have been better but couldn't find any.

Then I discovered the genius invention of George Daniels. The Co-Axial movement. As I learned more about the 8800 movement, I knew I found something that I want more than a Rolex, I want the 8800 movement. So now, I am facing with the dilemma and am having such a hard time to decide between the 38mm Aqua Terra black dial and the 42mm Diver 300m black dial.

Hope to learn more from this forum.

Have you tried them on in person? I would strongly recommend if you can. They're quite different watches. The AT is more every day and more similar to the Oyster Perpetual you like. The 300 is very much a dive watch. Can be worn every day obviously but has a much more purposeful look. AT is more versatile I would suggest.

Yes, I went to my local AD two days ago and tried them. I like the look of the SMP 300 a lot, but 42mm is little too big for my 16.5 cm wrist.

The official picture of the AT at Omega website kinda shows the bezel as brushed, which I like. But when I saw it at the AD, the bezel was polished, which I like less. I like the brushed bezel just like on the Railmaster. However, the 38mm case fits my wrist perfectly, and the AT dial is nice too. I would buy both if I could, but I can't. One only

upload_2023-7-31_6-52-51.png

Of course you're the best judge of your taste, but I would suggest AT 38mm silver (i.e. white) dial. I love it.

Had you thought about the Constellation Globemaster? It's probably Omega's #1 underrated watch and a great choice for a one watch do it all collection. The bracelet is fully brushed and the tungsten carbide bezel is impervious to scratches - the only material that is harder is diamond. The movement is the 8900 METAS certified Master Chronometer that 's antimagnetic to 15,000 gauss and it has the "jumping hour" time zone functon and a date window as well. The pie pan dial is a nice design cue and a nod to Omega's past. A lot of watch for the money and looks great on a strap too.
922371-f678975dd3e74896cbe0d7c3f16c63a4.jpg

Had you thought about the Constellation Globemaster? It's probably Omega's #1 underrated watch and a great choice for a one watch do it all collection. The bracelet is fully brushed and the tungsten carbide bezel is impervious to scratches - the only material that is harder is diamond. The movement is the 8900 METAS certified Master Chronometer that 's antimagnetic to 15,000 gauss and it has the "jumping hour" time zone functon and a date window as well. The pie pan dial is a nice design cue and a nod to Omega's past. A lot of watch for the money and looks great on a strap too.

Will take a closer look at the Globemaster. Thank you.

I can definitely recommend the AT as a "do it all" watch. Looks equally good with a suit, or with shorts and a polo shirt. Has enough water resistance so you can swim with it. Good accuracy too. Mine gains just 1.5-2.0 seconds a day. It's the previous generation 38.5mm with blue dial and 8500 movement:
PXL_20230408_011659658.jpg

If one could only own one watch to fit all needs, I think the Aqua Terra is the way to go. But honestly, how could one only own one watch? I would recommend a Speedmaster myself given that you have the other Tissot and Casio watches.

upload_2023-8-1_9-31-58.png

upload_2023-8-1_9-34-49.png