Need some help: Zenith SPECIAL watch - Military?

Hi all, do you have some information about this Zenith SPECIAL? Early and very nice example. Thanks! BR Thomas

It is not typical in many respects, but I am not well enough versed in these to comment definitively. The dial is an unusual pattern (the one in the ninanet link is far more characteristic), and the case is crisper than any case I have ever seen on pilot watches of this vintage from any manufacturer. Would be interested in reviewing images of the movement within. There ought to be a glass movement cover as well.

Thanks a lot. Please see some pics of (glass) movement and case back. Does anyone has a clue about the value? Thanks Thomas

The movement number puts it at somewhere round 1940 - 1942. The thing that gets me is the word "Special" on the dial - it just doesn't sound right coming from a respected manufacture.

Movement and glass cover look OK. I will check case markings against my image library when I get home.

The movement number puts it at somewhere round 1940 - 1942. The thing that gets me is the word "Special" on the dial - it just doesn't sound right coming from a respected manufacture.

Lots of precedent for that, Stewart. Roessler has a two page spread on these watches.

DSC_0237-1.jpg

Thanks, would be interesting to get more information. BR Thomas

Zenith displayed the word "SPECIAL" on its Pilot watches from the 1920s right up to the current Montre d'Aeronef, even using "EXTRA SPECIAL" on the cal. 15-1 Zenith 1A (1938). Dials very similar to Speedy's are illustrated on p. 132 of Roessler.

Dribble dribble dribble....
We need a drool emoticon!! Beauty of a piece-How big is that case? The crown looks typical of older pilot models