ID vintage zenith automatic chronometre

My father just gave me this. It was his father's. Would love to know more about it 20160326_131811.jpg

Very likely a cal. 133.8 bumper chronometre, and you are a lucky guy. It's an outstanding movement, and your watch is very pretty.

Do you feel a bump when you move your arm around? I expect so, but of not, then it's a full rotor automatic, and the hardcore Zenith collectors will fill you in.

Congratulations in either case!

Thank you!
I just took the watch off, put my fingers under the watch and swung my arm around wildly and pretty sure there is no bump. I just googled full rotor... I know nothing about watches.

I'm actually a girl and it fits me reasonably well on the tightest setting, though a tiny bit tighter would be nice.

My father never wore it because he's more of a sports stainless steel deep diving watch man.

Very likely a cal. 133.8 bumper chronometre, and you are a lucky guy. It's an outstanding movement, and your watch is very pretty.

Do you feel a bump when you move your arm around? I expect so, but of not, then it's a full rotor automatic, and the hardcore Zenith collectors will fill you in.

Congratulations in either case!

There is a 6 digit number on the back but when I Google nothing comes up. Maybe it's a serial.

Ah, sorry, then you're a lucky girl! Full rotor chronometres were a later development for Zenith, and are more efficient. Really lovely watch – your grandpa had good taste!

The reason that I guessed bumper is because the dial style seems to be early (say '50s), but that's obviously not a perfect guide.

Cheers,

Tony

The six digit case reference would indicate a gold case. The only times I have seen that circular age related markings on the dial have been on bumpers and the dial style does also suggest a 133.8 as Tony suggests.

The six digit case reference would indicate a gold case. The only times I have seen that circular age related markings on the dial have been on bumpers and the dial style does also suggest a 133.8 as Tony suggests.
If I hold the casing tight between my fingers and move it fast I THINK I MIGHT feel a bump. Nothing I would ever have noticed without this information. Thank you.

Thank you!
I just took the watch off, put my fingers under the watch and swung my arm around wildly and pretty sure there is no bump..
If I hold the casing tight between my fingers and move it fast I THINK I MIGHT feel a bump.

Isn't anyone going to mention that it might not be all that good for an old watch to be swinging it around like you are winding up for a fastball?

It is a cal 133.8, maeglutz - really nice watch and especially on that gold milanese bracelet - plus it is your granddad's. You should know the mechanical bits inside are reasonably robust, but also more than a half-century old. They are not really built to take a lickin' as the old Timex ad says. Also, these need to be serviced every 5 years or so, so if it is due, I wouldn't wear it a whole lot before taking it to a watchmaker.

Ok, I won't wind it anymore and I'll take it to a watchmaker this week. Does it take long to service? If he can do it in front of me I can take pictures of the movement

He'll open it for you to take pics, but you'll need to leave it for the service.