How big does a 42mm El Primero wear?

So you think my post was:

y3mTWFWq_QHfLmHPr17EWt6dSwhttw3QjgclkwTP0G__bKAbkR94EuFHkxe4cVc7khz3ZjZbsnJydtO4LDVeVtdFQDDXSIUGeizqk_Kp3RdwDjwoSRUueIPlnShsPVHNDtSqAtjZcDTYizOaGBmkzMCi3bYgn7aAWFVim7Myx-XDFo

Who's Lydia?

Does she have access to an El Primero and any of the four watches you mentioned?

I have a Speedmaster 3507.51 which has - as far as I know - a 42mm moon watch case (it is not a reduced!) and a 42mm El Primero Striking 10th. I have measured both and the cases are the same size. BUT the El Primero wears much bigger due to the bezel-less all-dial design. The watch dial is therefore very large and makes the watch look a lot bigger than the Speedmaster. I love it. It is a beautiful watch. I love both. But after wearing the El Primero the Speedmaster seems small, it takes a couple of hours to get used to again.

I can't say enough about the El Primero - it is such a great watch. Get one if you can, you will not be disappointed.

IMG_1836.JPG
I think there is one of these El Primeros for sale in the Private Sales Forum :rolleyes:

I also appreciate the responses with photos to this thread. My current residence is in far from an Omega AD and even farther from a Zenith AD so I am at a similar disadvantage. I really like the striking 10th!

I have the same one on previous pics here, the "69"( non striking 10 in my case but the dimensions are the same) it wears beautifully. The dial is larger than the speedy and all the others the OP mentions because, like with the IWC Portuguese chronograph the bezel is under the glass. So the impression is that of a larger watch...in diameter.

It is also a more elegant and less bulky design... Less tool watch. So in the end it is more versatile. Also when looking into a ceramic sub consider thickness. Again El primero is slimmer in appearance and I'm pretty sure also in actual size.

As I have access to several of the 42mm EP and other watches OP is trying to compare, I'm happy to provide this link. As you can see, side-by-side both on the wrist and off, there is a great deal of variation from one reference to the next, as the diameter is only one part of the wearability equation.

http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/Darlinboy/42mm EP comparo/story
Edited:

As I have access to several of the 42mm EP and other watches OP is trying to compare, I'm happy to provide this link. As you can see, side-by-side both on the wrist and off, there is a great deal of variation from one reference to the next, as the diameter is only one part of the wearability equation.

Sorry @Darlinboy, but I cannot see your images no matter how I try to access them.

I really have to recommend you guys take the pics for size from a distance and then crop in or reflected from a mirror. Otherwise the proportions are distorted

I really have to recommend you guys take the pics for size from a distance and then crop in or reflected from a mirror. Otherwise the proportions are distorted

Thank you!

Great point, it is really trying to take a picture with anything less than a equivalent 50mm lens in the 35mm format. Cell phones all tend to be wide angle so they seriously distort any type of wrist shot. The watch being closer to the camera will always look much larger on the wrist than it does in real life with a wide angle lens - pretty much all cell phone cameras.

I have the new iPhone 7+ and the extra telephoto lens is supposed to 56mm v. the standard 28mm. I am still experimenting with it though. But if you have the new iPhone 7+ any wrist shot should be with the telephoto lens.

Don't mean to call you out but this picture is Exhibit #1 on wide angle lens distortion. The Sub looks huge, bigger than the El Primero - this picture is badly distorted.

Don't mean to call you out but this picture is Exhibit #1 on wide angle lens distortion. The Sub looks huge, bigger than the El Primero - this picture is badly distorted.

Really? I'm not a photographer of any note, but wouldn't that mean his wrist would be distorted too, and in the photo it looks normal to me?

Really? I'm not a photographer of any note, but wouldn't that mean his wrist would be distorted too, and in the photo it looks normal to me?
View attachment 298915
We know the Sub is at most 40mm and the El Primero is 42mm. I took the picture above, drew a line from edge to edge on the sub, and then copied to the El Primero. That is distortion for you. The El Primero should be bigger but in this distorted picture the El Primero looks to be the entire crown length smaller. The red lines are the exact same length. So in this picture the sub looks much bigger compared to the El Primero which is just false.

Bezel.jpg
Edited:

Here is the picture with perspective lines drawn in, the green line represents what is probably the true perspective distortion of the wide angle lens since the El Primero is 2mm bigger than the sub. Bezel2.jpg