Half Breed - Movado 2552

Zenith parts can be a complete minefield, especially the early el Primero parts. What you need is time, patience AND a way in. Zenith can make, pretty near, any part for someone who has that way in. The easiest way is through the parts manager at your nearest LVMH service centre - if you can get hold of him. He can get the parts but is not allowed to sell them outside of the Zenith approved watchmaker chain (and that is not a published list). These approved watchmakers can also get the parts via the LVMH service centre, so if you find one of these watchmakers, treat him like your best friend. This gives you two options: either you have to convince the LVMH centre to do, just the work you want - or get them to service the watch at the same time or, the same with the approved watchmaker.

It can take several weeks for Zenith to confirm if they have the parts or if they are prepared to make them and then it can take a couple of months for the parts to turn up. Be prepared to pay a lot for these parts.

Thanks very much for the information Stewart; its just what the doctor ordered.:thumbsup:

I'm hoping that my watch maker can first get the watch working. I will then look at getting the hands sorted.

I have also sourced an original GF bracelet which is en route from Turkey. I will probably need end links for it.

You will need to knoe the reference for the end pieces. They will be prefixed with an M (for Movado) in the sane way that other brands are. i.e, Z for Zenith. The second letter will be case specific and @LouS has posted a thread with the Zenith references.

@LouS and @MMMD would probably be the best people to let you know which end pieces you actually need. If you are really lucky, @m neuman might have a NOS set.

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I've studied a number of pictures of the Deep Sea 360 trying to ascertain information about what is correct when it comes to hands for the sub-dials.

I attach a picture my 360 for reference. The sweep is most likely to be an incorrect part.

I've seen some watches with small hands for the sub-dial which do not overhang the post and long hands which extend a few mil past the post. Any help in trying to find a definative answer would be appreciated. Mine has both example of the hands I refer to.

Just to add to the discussion, here's a grainy shot from a scanned newspaper, which makes it look like they go to the top of the sub-dial and do not go past the post (also, I've never seen this color combo outside the ad):

16406139535_6e00a3e324_b.jpg

16220223307_b679c4329e_b.jpg

Thanks for sharing that newspaper shot. It's a Datachron, so probably 1969-1970, and I've never seen that color combo either. Maybe a prototype... but now I want one!

You will need to knoe the reference for the end pieces. They will be prefixed with an M (for Movado) in the sane way that other brands are. i.e, Z for Zenith. The second letter will be case specific and @LouS has posted a thread with the Zenith references.

@LouS and @MMMD would probably be the best people to let you know which end pieces you actually need. If you are really lucky, @m neuman might have a NOS set.

Endpiece reference is MC I believe

Endpiece reference is MC I believe

Yes. You can see it in this photo from an earlier post of mine in this thread.

Chronodivers_backs_zpsde7988cd.jpg

I have owned the orange faced version like curmudgeonly absurdistce since 1971 and am now in desperate need of a new crystal. Does anyone have any suggestions. I contacted Movado and they seemed clueless about this watch.

I contacted Movado and they seemed clueless about this watch.
Movado is clueless about almost all watches sold by them before 2000. If you can find a Zenith equivalent, you might have a shot through them.

Remember that Movado is no longer an upper end brand as they once were.

Good luck,
gatorcpa

There is a company, in Germany, who can make Zenith, El Primero crystals to the original dimensions. I don't know their name but I'm sure Google can help you out.

The watchmaker I took it to for repairs told me the crystal was plastic and no longer available. This watch seems to be a strange bird with its reference number on the band being 138 434 705 501 with the 434 being in larger numerals than the rest and 138 705 501 on the inside of the case back. It has the 2552PC movement and stamped Movado Factories. I will try and post some pics when I get home.