For All You Blemished/tropical Dial Lovers..

A3817 getting a break today..amazing what the Rolex tropical lovers have been offering me for this watch..sorry..not for sale!:D
A384121112.jpg

Cheers,
David

Nice piece. It's amazing to me though that "tropical dials" no matter what the brand have a following and tend to fetch higher prices than their similarly conditioned brethren.

Well, in the case of vintage Primeros, tropical dials had no following before David. He is single-handedly creating the market. To be sure, he found a very nice example - mellow cocoa color, very even, nice creamy lume and the metalwork is beyond reproach. Then there is his photography....

I must say, I am warming to the idea.

For anyone who wants to try their luck, there's one on the 'bay from Mr. f.q.watches, but to my eye, the color is less cocoa than what the french call caca d'oie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-EL-P...533287721?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58998d2b29

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Well, in the case of vintage Primeros, tropical dials had no following before David. He is single-handedly creating the market. To be sure, he found a very nice example - mellow cocoa color, very even, nice creamy lume and the metalwork is beyond reproach. Then there is his photography....

I must say, I am warming to the idea.

For anyone who wants to try their luck, there's one on the 'bay from Mr. f.q.watches, but to my eye, the color is less cocoa than what the french call caca d'oie
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-EL-P...533287721?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58998d2b29
Inadvertently creating a market! This is what I get for showing it on the Rolex forums..:rolleyes:

If you buy from that seller, make SURE you take the watch to a watchmaker IMMEDIATELY. While many of his watches are very nice, some have had a few shortcuts made when a repair was needed.

Inadvertently creating a market! This is what I get for showing it on the Rolex forums..:rolleyes:

Oh, I wasn't implying any manipulation or skullduggery - just a discerning collector's eye

If you buy from that seller, make SURE you take the watch to a watchmaker IMMEDIATELY. While many of his watches are very nice, some have had a few shortcuts made when a repair was needed.

agreed. He has a tendency to improvisation

Very nice. The tropicals don't always work for me, but that one does.
Along the same lines (also not for sale:))...

G382full.jpg

interesting that the decimeter ring has faded on the G 382, but the subdials haven't. They look like the same pigment on unfaded dials.