Costly Omega Constellation Service

I have just been informed my 20 year old watch that I regularly service, is going to cost $860 to replace battery and clean. Further, they say I need a new watch face for $1,300 + tax. Over $2,000 for watch servicing? This was a gift to me 20 years ago and changing battery and cleaning never been an issue. Are there others that can perform this service? I live in Toronto.

Thanks for your help!
Penelope IMG_0062.jpeg

Just go to an independent watchmaker, it may be that the quartz movement is needing replacement if it is no longer meeting specifications or something from that cost but the dial looks fine an and independent isn’t going to make you buy a new one. Even if the movement is out of spec, if it’s still good enough an independent will give you the option to use it as is as well with a new battery an seals.

Just go to an independent watchmaker, it may be that the quartz movement is needing replacement if it is no longer meeting specifications or something from that cost but the dial looks fine an and independent isn’t going to make you buy a new one. Even if the movement is out of spec, if it’s still good enough an independent will give you the option to use it as is as well with a new battery a seals.
I will definately do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will definately do that. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi @penelopeyyc I just had my vintage Constellation serviced by Shane Ede in Toronto. Great watchmaker nothing is too much trouble and he is very reasonable price wise. Unfortunately Shane is not in great health but it would still be worth contacting him.
Regards
Alan.

That's odd, $860 CAD sounds like more than the standard service price for a quartz non-precious-metal non-chronograph from an Omega service center. I think it would be $500 USD. Although, I guess if they used the price for a precious metal watch (because it is two-tone), that would be $600 USD, so that is getting closer to the $860 in the OP. Presumably, the dial replacement is an optional item, so perhaps you could just decline that part.

Alternatively, you could take it to an independent watchmaker, and it might be somewhat less expensive.

Hi @penelopeyyc I just had my vintage Constellation serviced by Shane Ede in Toronto. Great watchmaker nothing is too much trouble and he is very reasonable price wise. Unfortunately Shane is not in great health but it would still be worth contacting him.
Regards
Alan.

Another good option is Little Shop of Horology in Port Credit. I have no personal experience, but it gets many positive reviews in the Canadian watch community.

Another good option is Little Shop of Horology in Port Credit. I have no personal experience, but it gets many positive reviews in the Canadian watch community.
I'd try them just for the name

Regards
Alan.

Alan, thank you for your recommendation. I just came back from having Shane Ede repair my Omega Constellation. $20 for a new battery and it’s running fine! I am not saying that my 26 year old watch won’t need parts replaced next time, but Shane has my trust to do the job.

That's odd, $860 CAD sounds like more than the standard service price for a quartz non-precious-metal non-chronograph from an Omega service center. I think it would be $500 USD. Although, I guess if they used the price for a precious metal watch (because it is two-tone), that would be $600 USD, so that is getting closer to the $860 in the OP. Presumably, the dial replacement is an optional item, so perhaps you could just decline that part.

Alternatively, you could take it to an independent watchmaker, and it might be somewhat less expensive.
Offering to replace the dial because of some blemishes, is like a dealership quoting to replace your rims because their scuffed up.

Alan, thank you for your recommendation. I just came back from having Shane Ede repair my Omega Constellation. $20 for a new battery and it’s running fine! I am not saying that my 26 year old watch won’t need parts replaced next time, but Shane has my trust to do the job.
Hi, @penelopeyyc, slight difference between $20 and what Omega wanted $2000, I read today they are not doing to well financially, they could have done with that 2 grand! I'm pleased Shane was able to sort it out, wonderful guy.