Authentic Zenith or a counterfeit?

zenith.JPG zenith 2.JPG zenith 3.JPG zenith 4.JPG zenith 5.JPG

Came across this online and I'm looking to grab a vintage watch myself.

Can anyone help me identify if this is an authentic piece or a counterfeit

Also, what would be a good vintage watch for someone who just started collecting vintage timepieces?

not a counterfeit, but a repainted dial. Avoid.

Don 't jump in. Loiter and learn a bit. The watch you picked is pretty standard noob-bait. Shiny and clean, but any vintage value compromised by the redial in the wrong color.

not a counterfeit, but a repainted dial. Avoid.

A repainted dial decreases a watch value by a whole lot?

Not sure if you can discuss bout the value of the watch here but what is the Price Range of this watch?

You can discuss value here.

A repainted dial decreases a watch value by a whole lot. IN the case of a very ordary watch like this one, it pretty much reduces it to the value of the parts for a seasoned collector

So if that's the case how much would you personally value this watch at? I kinda think the movement is well kept.

However, I do realize that the case number isn't shown on the inner back case. Does that mean that the case is also replaced?

Could be - it isn't marked correctly for a Zenith case. I don't put a lot of thought into it once I see a redial. I wouldn't consider buying this watch, even for $1. I don't know how much plainer to put it.

If you wait a while, and learn a bit more in this forum from people like @LouS and other knowledgeable folks, you will elect to just stay away from this watch. There are many threads filled with loads of wisdom. Patience and knowledge pays off always :)

I fully agree with what have been said!
I you want to seriously start collecting vintage timepieces, I would recommend you to learn as much as possible to be able to recognize what is original or not and also take time to refine your tastes and preferences (do you prefer simple three hands watches, chronos, steel, gold etc...)
I think you should stay away from redone/replaced parts for many many reasons, one being if one day you want to sell your watch it will be so difficult if it is not original.
You have plenty of very interesting threads in this forum and many interesting watches being put for sale too.
Good luck :)
Nico

@beyonder. I used to be you.

This game is all about patience
This community is all about helping others- mostly through education.

It might be jarring at first- but the advice they give us sound- if you can wait. And learn.

@LouS is one of the best.

Edit: when I asked on this forum "what parts are original?" - another member asked me "what do you think!?" That was great advice.

Besides being a redial, I'd say it's a recase as well.

In hindsight I am not ashamed to say I broke all the much said "rules" and common sense principles of vintage watch buying, e.g fully researching, yadah, yadah and spent some bucks on a pup ? Marriage ? Frankenstein ? What ever, as they say no fool like an old fool, cheers Fred

In hindsight I am not ashamed to say I broke all the much said "rules" and common sense principles of vintage watch buying, e.g fully researching, yadah, yadah and spent some bucks on a pup ? Marriage ? Frankenstein ? What ever, as they say no fool like an old fool, cheers Fred
You'll get lucky soon, Fred.