a3817...What Will It Bring?

Such a shame this sold off eBay and behind closed doors, would have been great to know what this would have sold for. I was intending to put in what I think is a very high bid at the last minute.

I don't p
Such a shame this sold off eBay and behind closed doors, would have been great to know what this would have sold for. I was intending to put in what I think is a very high bid at the last minute.
What was your number out of curiosity?

$7k sounds about right to me. A lightly polished one, not quite as nice, went for about $6500 a couple of years ago.

The watch sold for just over $9k .............. WOW!!!

Nice example, great price.

I've often wondered why the A3817 doesn't pull the same figures as the A386. The A386 was the first automatic chrono so I'm sure that is the main reason. I suppose there also personal preference with respect to the case shape and size. Maybe the A3817 is starting to catch up with is older sibling.
Edited:

It would have been great to let this run until the end to see the actual market value.

My assessment for what it's worth - the watch overall was in great condition especially the case and dial. The red chrono hand wasn't in the best shape and as previously discussed it was missing correct sub second hand. There was no movement pic / service history and it was missing the Gay Freres ladder bracelet. As such my guess would be that it would have hit a little over $7k. If it was complete with bracelet maybe closer to $8k

Interested to hear others opinions, everyone has been fairly quite so I thought I'd start with what I think is a fair figure.

I agree, it would have been interesting to see this one play out.

The case was definitely sharp and the dial quite clean. In addition to the noted issue with the chrono hand (paint flaking?), the lume had a greenish, rather than cream tint. I have seen other pictures of a3817s with this shade of lume. I wonder the reason why some age to a creamy patina while others...age like the example we're scrutinizing? As for the sub seconds hand, I concur with papaebetu/GIGI that the dark blue hands as well as the lighter blue hands are both original and correct for the reference. Pics that follow show the same darker blue sub seconds hand on a3817s where the other dial furniture appears to be original too. It would be interesting to know the serial numbers on these darker handed examples to see if one could come to a reasonable conclusion as to why the color difference (did they run out of the lighter blue hands in the latter part of production, etc.).

Photo credit to nice guy whose beautiful A3817 was in my google search

This example was actually from Omega Forums

DkBlue2_zpsfkpaxs0v.jpg

Another photo credit to another nice guy whose beautiful A3817 happened to be in my google search

And yet another photo credit to yet another nice guy whose beautiful A3817 happened to be in my google search

In regards to an estimate on price, there's not a lot of recent activity I could find on this reference and what I found were FS posts nearing a year old or older. As for the 9K + price, did the seller provide that information?
Edited:

As for the 9K + price, did the seller provide that information?

Yes - I went directly to the source and they were kind enough to answer my question.

I apologize in advance if one of our members purchased this and wanted it kept this information from their wife.

Yes - I went directly to the source and they were kind enough to answer my question.

I apologize in advance if one of our members purchased this and wanted it kept this information from their wife.
I asked the seller, and didn't hear back. Inquiring minds now know!