A Swedes journey to Simon Freese!!

Hi everybody!

Just arrived back from a fantastic holiday in London, and I have to share my experience with you Guys!

But I will start from the beginning…:)
And sorry if my English is not the best!

I bought a nice 105.012-66 last December, and it was of course in need for a service and a clean up.

I did a post before regarding the adventures of that watch…

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-105-012-66-recent-purchase-couldnt-help-it.153898/

I also managed to get hold of the 145.022-68 that I made another post about.
(I got a bit of flak on that one…:().
But I took a gamble, and thought the price was right..

Post on this one…:rolleyes:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-145-022-68-assessment-questions.153553/

I have another Speedy, a 145.022-69 that was in desperate need for a service, so I had 3 watches that where in need for service etc.

My problem was that there are not so many skilled watchmakers in Sweden that can handle a 321 movement.(part accounts, serious track record etc).
I talked to a few who had done this before, but since the watch is really nice, I was a bit worried if something might/could happen…
The 861:s where doable in Sweden....but both the 68 and the 69 had lousy hands that needed attention, the 69 had badly re-lumed hands, and the 68 had service hands.
Andy the 69 had a dial turning "brownish", but sadly with some water/oil spots...that could/might be corrected??

And this can't be done in Sweden with the results that I would like to have.

I had read a lot about Simon Freese here on the Forum, and on other places, and it felt like he is the Guy who can handle this kind of watches.

So after a couple of e-mails back and forth with Simon, I made up my mind going forward with him.
We booked a day and started planing everything.
I didn't have the nerves sending the watches with a shipping company back and forth since there might be customs/taxes involved,
and I also wanted to meet Simon in person and combine everything with a holiday!

So the date was set to the 31 March, and with the flight and further traveling to Simon, I should arrive around 16:00.
Everything had to work, since the next day was a Saturday, and Simon was free.
Fortunately, I only live an hour from Copenhagen Airport, with direct flights to London.
So the journey started 07:30 with my car, a 10.55 flight with British Airways, touch down on Heathrow,
then the underground to Liverpool Street, then the train to Simons workshop..
and arrived 15:45...

Pweeww..::facepalm2::

And finally meeting with Simon!
What an amazing person he is - so nice and kind, and really dedicated to his work.
We talked for almost an hour (not only watches), and decided what each watch needed.

The hands on the 68 and 69 where going to be adjusted/relumed by Simon.
The dial on the 69 will be so lightly touched with cleaning (I can although live with the spots..).

I had plan B, which would involve James Hyman who is a fantastic re-lumer, but that might have been to much for me with the logistics etc.
The 69 has tired lume plots, and the 68 had some loss on the lume plots also, but we decided not to touch them, once re-lumed, always re-lumed?;)
And service/cleaning on the 3 watches.
And I felt very confident with the discussions and choices I had with Simon.

Hopefully his work will be done in a few months, but I am not in a hurry.

I have attached a few pictures.
I was not really prepared to do this post, so the pictures are kind of random (not Instagram friendly) etc..

And I almost forgot this:
I arrived back in London at around 19:00, with my family waiting for me at a local pub, and that Pint I had there tasted LOVELY!

This is going to be very exciting, and I will keep you Guys uppdated.

Cheers!!!

Here is the 105.012-66:

IMG_7391.JPG

Here is the 145.022-68 (with some Polywatch done...)

IMG_9214.JPG

And the 145.022-69:

tempImagexnyGoT.png

And finally, the watches with Simon:

IMG_9271 2.JPG

Thank you for sharing. That sounds very exiting and well done :thumbsup:.
Now we all have to wait for the (expected good) results.

I’m sure you’ll be very happy with Simon’s work.
He has so much experience with sympathetically servicing vintage watches.
In particular vintage Omega Chronographs.

Lovely account, enjoyed reading that. Unfortunately you left out one very important detail - what sort of amber liquid was contained within said pint glass?!

Well….@Drmexicoll,
It was a very cold and well deserved plain lager!
And it could have been a pint of Vodka aswell, I would have downed it in no time after my day!::psy::

Maybe on your return visit to pick up your watches might I suggest some cellar temperature ale for the authentic pub experience? :)

I am jealous of people who live in places where it is more economical to get a return plane flight to another country than pay duties on services! Australia is a long way from anywhere.

I’m a big fan of Simon’s work. Your 3 Speedy’s are going to be fabulous. I enjoy reading your auction watching threads. Are you really looking for another? Straight lug next time?

Cool story. You have definitely made the correct decision in hand delivering to Simon.
Thanks, I do feel confident, also talking to Simon in person makes a huge and positive effect!

Once again - what an amazing and dedicated Guy!

I am jealous of people who live in places where it is more economical to get a return plane flight to another country than pay duties on services! Australia is a long way from anywhere.

I’m a big fan of Simon’s work. Your 3 Speedy’s are going to be fabulous. I enjoy reading your auction watching threads. Are you really looking for another? Straight lug next time?
Thanks mate!

My daughter was in Melbourne and Sydney backpacking, and she said that Australia was Huge!!!
And the next watch.....???
:eek:

Cheers!

Very interesting reading! Thanks for sharing your story Hans! And as everybody here, waiting for the results! :)

Looking forward to this being updated,I’ve heard nothing but good about Simons work.

Anyone else was hoping to see how Simon looks like and his workshop? :)

Fantastic watches, and they will be given the best service with the utmost care my Mr Freese :thumbsup:

Great story.

A trip to the watch and clock section of the science museum is in order on your return trip followed by a well deserved trip to the pub :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys!
It will take some time before they will be serviced - so stay Frosty!

And have a nice weekend!

Cheers!