1943 Omega - Assistance with Missing Case Back

Good evening all,

I bought this yesterday after going through a huge watch collection that came into a local shop.

Now I know the fifth point of the pinned thread said to not open the case, but I didn't have a choice here, as the back was missing! It won't wind back, but the crown does come out and allows me to set the time.

I am in love with this thing, and it'll be a nice dress alternative to my 80s Omega Quartz. But is there anyway to find out what case it should have? The serial number just gave me a manufacturing year, being 1943.

Thank you Omega experts!

3e8c0be9-cc25-4c3c-9322-5a11f4ff3cb4~2.jpg

e2a25c3d-99ff-42d5-a120-9783880cbe5e~3.jpg

The serial number just gave me a manufacturing year, being 1943.
Why did you obscure the serial number?

Why did you obscure the serial number?
Sorry!
I'm not used to posting on forums. I usually see them marked off etc when posted elsewhere on different items. Unwarranted paranoia I guess.
I think something like a 2180
That'd be a 30T2 then, right? I did a quick google.
I'm much more used to Seiko numbers rather than Omegas haha.

Sorry!
I'm not used to posting on forums. I usually see them marked off etc when posted elsewhere on different items. Unwarranted paranoia I guess.

That'd be a 30T2 then, right? I did a quick google.
I'm much more used to Seiko numbers rather than Omegas haha.
I suggested 2180 based on the lug shape and dial style, but I think @gatorcpa is correct with movement being a 26.5 then it will be a different case reference.

There may not necessarily be a case reference. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it.

No, more like a cal. 26,5T3.

1726400462113.jpeg
1726400516870.png
1726400554054.png
gatorcpa
Thank you and @cristos71 . Looks like it wouldn't be too expensive to hop on eBay and buy a replacement back. Even if it isn't the right one, I could just sell it back and buy another.

There may not necessarily be a case reference. Hopefully you didn't pay much for it.
I paid a couple of dollars. I wouldn't have paid much more as I was expecting to have to send it off to Omega Melbourne. They quoted me $700aud to fix my other quartz, but since buying this one, I've read there's a lot of people who opt not to send it home, and instead go private.

Looks like it wouldn't be too expensive to hop on eBay and buy a replacement back.
Maybe yes, maybe no.

But the chances that any eBay case back would fit is rather low. Even if you knew the case reference, many Omegas from this era did not have the case reference engraved on the back.

Your best bet would be to find a non-working watch in a case with the same movement and a dial. You could then get your watch serviced and swap the movement.

This is not going to be easy or cheap. I wish you the best of luck with your project.
gatorcpa

Thank you and @cristos71 . Looks like it wouldn't be too expensive to hop on eBay and buy a replacement back. Even if it isn't the right one, I could just sell it back and buy another.

I paid a couple of dollars. I wouldn't have paid much more as I was expecting to have to send it off to Omega Melbourne. They quoted me $700aud to fix my other quartz, but since buying this one, I've read there's a lot of people who opt not to send it home, and instead go private.
You could go through dozens, or hundreds, of case-backs before you find the right one, if you ever do. And I don't know what you think Omega is going to do to help. The best use of this watch is as parts, maybe you can transplant the dial and movement, but even that won't necessarily be simple.

No, more like a cal. 26,5T3.
No, sorry...
A T3 would have a monometallic balance.
More likely it is a T2 because the photo clearly shows a bimetallic balance.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

But the chances that any eBay case back would fit is rather low. Even if you knew the case reference, many Omegas from this era did not have the case reference engraved on the back.

Your best bet would be to find a non-working watch in a case with the same movement and a dial. You could then get your watch serviced and swap the movement.

This is not going to be easy or cheap. I wish you the best of luck with your project.
gatorcpa
You could go through dozens, or hundreds, of case-backs before you find the right one, if you ever do. And I don't know what you think Omega is going to do to help. The best use of this watch is as parts, maybe you can transplant the dial and movement, but even that won't necessarily be simple.
This is painful haha I was hoping I'd be able to get this fixed relatively easy, albeit expensive. Looking like there's no point even trying. Given I'd be spending more than what it'd cost to replace.

I really know nothing here, but I've looked at it through a loop just now and the small blue wire-like spring has a bit of it sticking up and out.

No, sorry...
A T3 would have a monometallic balance.
More likely it is a T2 because the photo clearly shows a bimetallic balance.
All input is appreciated, thank you!

Again, forgive my lack of knowledge and experience, but google tells me that's the balance spring that I'm looking at?

IMG_20240916_192020.jpg

Again, forgive my lack of knowledge and experience, but google tells me that's the balance spring that I'm looking at?

IMG_20240916_192020.jpg
Yes, complete balance with spring.

Yes, complete balance with spring.
And that little bit of spring you can see bent or curved over the wheel is bad, right?

And that little bit of spring you can see bent or curved over the wheel is bad, right?
Yes from what I can see the piece of the hairspring looks badly bent - you are correct.
My comment was a response to @gatorcpa´s. He thought it was a caliber 26.5 T3 but it is a 26.5 T2 (or T1, rather unlikely) going by the type of balance. The balances between T2 and T3 are different. Hope this helps to understand now...

Even if you found the right back. Doesn’t mean it would fit (meaning snap backs). More fidgety back then and not as precise in fit. Probably have to play around with it (sand or file) a touch to get it to fit